Solved Hidden Online Status Issue

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Wishing4Wings, May 16, 2017.

1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    It seems there is sometimes a green tab in the corner of member's thread profile. Is this to show that they are currently logged on to the site? (similar to the blue dot we had on the old BYC)
    We are finding that the appearance of the green tab is very random. Members are posting, and the green is missing or they cannot see mine, even though I can see it. Is there a trick to getting this to work? It is helpful on a social thread to know who is logged on.

UPDATE EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    MattW Technical Admin Staff Member
    I've found the issue, and fixed it. There was a missing permission added due to an addon. I've set it now, so you all have the ability to change your online status again

Thanks to MattM, you can now go to Preferences in your profile and choose your visible online status and current activity.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    MattW and casportpony like this.
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The green corner is for those that are currently on line.

abcn123s likes this.
  3. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    That's what I thought, but it seems to only work some of the time. We are really missing the currently viewing box, so are hoping the green tabs will fill in the gap, but they are so unreliable. Is there a reason why? For example, there is no green tab by your profile... so I think maybe you have logged off... or did you?? :hmm

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

@Wishing4Wings at the time of this post, I see you "online".

The system remembers people as "logged in" for 15 minutes from the last action they did on the site.

5. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I was actively chatting with at least 2 members on granny's thread that never showed a green tab and they could not see mine, but said they could see their own. Even sent a few private conversations. At the same I could see 2 other people with green tabs. This is certainly not an urgent problem, but it seems to work randomly, and we are just trying to figure out how to make it reliable.

6. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    So, I think I actually did solve what the trouble is. The green tabs only show for people on mobile. PC users can see their own green tabs, but they are not visible to any other users. Again, not a huge priority, but it would be nice if I new if my fellow PC users are on or not.
    @Nifty-Chicken

KikisGirls and granny hatchet like this.
  7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Xs2, Are you working on getting our list back on the thread as to who is viewing ?

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Interesting, so you cannot see my green tab?

9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    No I can not see a green thing for you right now...

10. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Nope

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by