High Desert, California!!

I am in the Baldy Mesa area and would like advise. Is it too late in the year to start a coop? Have an area that is part of an old horse stall I am going to close in and build a coop. Thinking it might be too late unless I can find adult chickens. Any advise would be appreciated. Any possible source of chickens also needed.

Welcome to BYC and all things chickens. It is not too late in the year, especially if you can provide a place to roost that is protected from the elements at night; airy is good, but it is important that it stay dry and the wind doesn't blow through it. The smaller the space, the better their bodies can warm it up, although that might not be ideal in the long run.

Adult chickens / hens are an option, look at the "buy/sell/trade" thread on BYC, look on-line for breeders in your area, or check out local animal shelters. You may also be able to find started stock that is less than a year old. I would recommend looking for pullets that are about 4 months old. They will be a nice size and fully feathered so they don't need additional heat, but haven't started laying eggs yet. Just don't bring home anything that has a problem i.e. sick, bugs, etc.

I am in the Baldy Mesa area and would like advise. Is it too late in the year to start a coop? Have an area that is part of an old horse stall I am going to close in and build a coop. Thinking it might be too late unless I can find adult chickens. Any advise would be appreciated. Any possible source of chickens also needed.
Folks in your area are hatching and selling all year long. Lots and lots of activity; I'd say that there really is no bad time of year to start with chickens as long as you are patient. Even those pullets close to lay will often wait until spring to start laying...that is the only thing.

If you are looking for birds, I recommend this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/highdesertranchersandfarmers/. It is by far the most active, helpful group you could ask for, and I've made many friends in your area through these good folks.

Hi all, it has been a while. Anyway, I have a dilemma that I hope to resolve quite soon. I have to move and the new place I am going to allows chickens but not roosters. I have a 1 year old Jersey Giant rooster that I need to find a flock for or at least a home. Can anyone help me with rehoming him please? Thank you.

I have a couple really sweet young Gen 2-Olive Egger Roos free to a good home. Either one or both of these guys would be a great addition to any flock, their demenor and looks are so wonderful!. They were born I think in July of last year.

This is their father

Hi everyone, I'm happy to see a high desert section! I'm up in Lone Pine, and will be getting ten ducklings in March.
1f60a.png
Brand new to this, but very excited!

Hi everyone,
I'm in Yucca Valley, recently moved from the San Fernando Valley. I'm planning on converting my metal tool shed into a coop since it's already anchored down onto the best spot on the east side of the house and so will be sheltered from afternoon sun and hold strong against the wind, but I need to add a run around it and was wondering based on everyone's experience just how ridiculous I need to be with the predator proofing. I'm on 5 acres in the unincorporated area. I know I have coyote and hawks, but not sure what else I need to be concerned with. There are a lot, A LOT of wild rabbits and quail running around all over so there's not exactly a shortage of food for the predators, just not sure if they'd see my chickens as an easier target being fenced in or if they'd be less likely to bother. With the last coop and run I built I used 1/2 hardware cloth on the entire thing. We had raccoons, opossums, and hawks but our yard was completely fenced with a 6ft wood privacy fence and was completely covered with a canopy of trees so nothing ever really bothered trying to get at them. I feel like hardware cloth would be a joke to a coyote if it really wanted to get in. I want to make it secure enough that I can feel comfortable leaving them alone for a weekend if I want to go visit friends in L.A. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and the area for the run is sloped and a bit uneven so that limits me a tad as far as fencing materials are concerned. Thanks! :)

Hello all! My name is Ashley! I am Alabama born and raised, but I live in Adelanto! My husband and I have 5 hens, one rooster, 4 chicks that we bought at the feed store and we are hatching our first batch of eggs!

Hello all! My name is Ashley! I am Alabama born and raised, but I live in Adelanto! My husband and I have 5 hens, one rooster, 4 chicks that we bought at the feed store and we are hatching our first batch of eggs!

Hey there! I'm from BAma too, just recent moved to Oak Hills. How did your chickens turn out?

Back
Top Bottom