High Desert, California!!

Several High Desert Wind Old Timer Sayings I've Heard Out Here

"I didn't know it was windy out here until it stopped one day and I fell over"

"The first year you move here, the wind blows all the time. The next year, it blows quite a bit. The third year, it hardly blows at all."

"You've lived here too long when trees that grow straight out of the ground look funny to you."

"You've lived here too long when you automatically only open one car door at a time when the family gets out of the car."

Well something to look forward to, by the third year i'll be cured form this wind hate. LOL

Well something to look forward to, by the third year i'll be cured form this wind hate. LOL

This month is year 3 for us and the wind does not bother me but it does bother me when I go down the hill.

What I did have problems with was cooking. I make all the adjustment for altitude now when baking and I had problems cooking rice when we came up, not sure why but I did. I would have to say that was the biggest adjustment for me, learning to cook in high altitude.

The difference in temp two miles down the road to main st is weird too, then to bear valley is another climate all together. Has anyone up here made any sour dough bread from scratch with success? I tried to and all I got was bricks, door stops, weapons and the last one was a little edible but still hard and OMGosh heavy.

Welcome to all the new members to the site and to the High Desert.
highfive.gif
To all Desert Rats.

"Down The Hill"

"You've been here too long when ..."

You guys all crack me up.

I lived west of Rosamond for many many years, and I miss it terribly, out in the desert, off the grid, trucked in water until I dug a well, solar panels, generator for when the sun didn't shine, and pager instead of a phone. I would drive into Lancaster once every six months to fill my propane tanks.

I actually MISS the sounds of Willow Springs Raceway.

I used to give my address as Rosamond, CA and a nine digit zip code, and all my mail went right to my mail box, Gee, those were GREAT times.

I left when Mom was diagnosed as terminal so I moved DTH, then after she died I moved to Arizona. Not really all that far away and certainly in the same type of climate, I am in the High Desert of North West AZ and it even has wind like I remember in Rosamond.

Skip

So has anyone started to plant anything? We are never sure what to plant up here the weather is so different. What are good spring crops here in Hesperia?

So has anyone started to plant anything? We are never sure what to plant up here the weather is so different. What are good spring crops here in Hesperia?

Tomato seedlings are inside and two weeks old. They go out April 1st, which is when I do a batch of Earliglow corn.

Kale, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach... all the cold crops can survive the winter if you use cold frames or a greenhouse.

Want to plant lettuce, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, peppers. But soil is bad. Money tight. Live in Phelan. Anyone have extra seeds that they are willing to part with?
Have you tried straw bale gardening? BTW, hi, I'm Denise from Acton...I tried it last year for the first time with great sucess. Lots of info on the internet about it and FB.

Back
Top Bottom