High Desert, California!!

I know it's kind of late, but does anyone around the Antelope Valley or Santa Clarita Valley area have goose hatching eggs? I'm looking to get some to set with my duck eggs (which I will be receiving in the next couple days). Not really picky on breed. I'm interested to see what people have in the area.

I have gotten all my chickens from Odyssey Ranch and I love them (the chickens and Wayne and Barbara), but without fail, even when offered pullets only, I've gotten roos. The only time that didn't happen was on my second batch of New Hampshires. The first batch I bought were 7 weeks old, 4 NHs 4CMs. 2 of the CMs turned out to be boys even after I took them back and had them sex them. Second batch 10 week old NHs, no problem. This recent batch were week olds, supposed to be pullets, 2 SLW 2 white easter eggers. 1 SLW is a definite roos, the jury is still out on the EEs.

So the lesson I've learned? Buy a LOT more at once to ensure I get the amount of layers I'm actually looking for!! I still love Odyssey Ranch and still recommend them. They are good people.
cool.png

Last edited:
I have gotten all my chickens from Odyssey Ranch and I love them (the chickens and Wayne and Barbara), but without fail, even when offered pullets only, I've gotten roos. The only time that didn't happen was on my second batch of New Hampshires. The first batch I bought were 7 weeks old, 4 NHs 4CMs. 2 of the CMs turned out to be boys even after I took them back and had them sex them. Second batch 10 week old NHs, no problem. This recent batch were week olds, supposed to be pullets, 2 SLW 2 white easter eggers. 1 SLW is a definite roos, the jury is still out on the EEs.

So the lesson I've learned? Buy a LOT more at once to ensure I get the amount of layers I'm actually looking for!! I still love Odyssey Ranch and still recommend them. They are good people. :cool:
Sexing birds is tricky but Roos make good stew! Lol

Just saw this thread, I'm in the Antelope Valley also, up in Rosamond. New to chickens, we have 10 chicks right now, all from Odyssey. I know we have 4 pullets, because they are BSLs, but the others we will have to see. :)

Sexing birds is tricky but Roos make good stew! Lol
Yes it is. That's why I'll be buying a lot more next time so that it evens out better. What made it particularly frustrating the first time was that of the 8, two were roos, two ended up dying (one was a runt from the start and just passed, one we --and Barbara when I called her-- think had a stroke.) So my laying flock was cut in half.

I'm hoping to get some Australorps and BLRWs from them next. I'd probably only go somewhere else if they didn't have the breeds I wanted.I like that I can see where they come from and I love that Wayne and Barbara will take the time to talk and they are so helpful. I'm thinking of getting Muscovies from them too if I end up committing to ducks. I rehomed the two CMs but the SLW I have now, we'll be keeping, as long as the neighbors don't complain! I'd be bummed if one of the EEs ends up being a boy because I got them for the eggs :) They're pretty hard to sex even now, at 10 weeks. Pretty much with those two, it's lay or crow.

Just saw this thread, I'm in the Antelope Valley also, up in Rosamond. New to chickens, we have 10 chicks right now, all from Odyssey. I know we have 4 pullets, because they are BSLs, but the others we will have to see. :)
I didn't welcome you to the thread! I'm sorry! Nice to see you here. I'm in East Lancaster. You'll find that the folks at Odyssey are super nice and helpful. Going in, knowing you're buying straight run makes a difference. What is the age of your chicks?

I'm hoping to get some Australorps and BLRWs from them next. I'd probably only go somewhere else if they didn't have the breeds I wanted.I like that I can see where they come from and I love that Wayne and Barbara will take the time to talk and they are so helpful. I'm thinking of getting Muscovies from them too if I end up committing to ducks. I rehomed the two CMs but the SLW I have now, we'll be keeping, as long as the neighbors don't complain! I'd be bummed if one of the EEs ends up being a boy because I got them for the eggs :) They're pretty hard to sex even now, at 10 weeks. Pretty much with those two, it's lay or crow.[/quote]

[quote name="kian" url="/t/446113/high-desert-california/390#post_10948195"]Yes it is. That's why I'll be buying a lot more next time so that it evens out better. What made it particularly frustrating the first time was that of the 8, two were roos, two ended up dying (one was a runt from the start and just passed, one we --and Barbara when I called her-- think had a stroke.) So my laying flock was cut in half.

:( I'm sorry bout your loss I just went something similar with hatchery chicks . Wayne and Barbara are so generous with their time and have been very patient with me and all my questions! :) good luck with your duckies! I'm sticking with chickens for now ducks are too messy for me. Lol

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm still deciding about ducks. I'm pretty much convinced that I want them, and Muscovies seem like the best choice.

That's what I like about Wayne and Barbara: you know they're busy, you know they've got a zillion other things to do, but they will still take all the time you need to talk, to explain things. When I called about my girl that had the stroke, Barbara listened to my very long drawn out story and reassured me and encouraged me. It was about 30 minutes and I'm sure she had something else to get to but she still talked to me. So yeah, unless there is a breed I want that they don't have, I'll be getting my chicks from them still.

I'm hoping to get some Australorps and BLRWs from them next. I'd probably only go somewhere else if they didn't have the breeds I wanted.I like that I can see where they come from and I love that Wayne and Barbara will take the time to talk and they are so helpful. I'm thinking of getting Muscovies from them too if I end up committing to ducks. I rehomed the two CMs but the SLW I have now, we'll be keeping, as long as the neighbors don't complain! I'd be bummed if one of the EEs ends up being a boy because I got them for the eggs
smile.png
They're pretty hard to sex even now, at 10 weeks. Pretty much with those two, it's lay or crow.
Quote: I saw your post about wanting Australorps and thought I'd mention a fellow in Acton who has black Australorps. I purchased two and they're beautiful. $15 each for 4 or 5 month olds. Here's the Craigs List link for you if you're interested. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/grd/3695491236.html
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom