Historic Presence of Jungle Fowl in the American Deep South

I love this, they even look wild!
I am stoked about this paring. I think both the bull stag Lanky and the hen offer the best of the various lines I’ve had on the farm. If these chicks turn out as well as I anticipate, I will plan to leave these two paired together for years and aim to get multiple clutches a year.

When I breed brother and sister together I’ll have to see if any start throwing black color or aseel traits. The Crackers and old school Americans are so alike in color and structure that throw backs to either side won’t look out of place. They’ll just look like larger or smaller versions of the final bird. But the black aseel traits coming out later could be an issue for a few generations. I’ll have to try and see.

I am stoked about this paring. I think both the bull stag Lanky and the hen offer the best of the various lines I’ve had on the farm. If these chicks turn out as well as I anticipate, I will plan to leave these two paired together for years and aim to get multiple clutches a year.

When I breed brother and sister together I’ll have to see if any start throwing black color or aseel traits. The Crackers and old school Americans are so alike in color and structure that throw backs to either side won’t look out of place. They’ll just look like larger or smaller versions of the final bird. But the black aseel traits coming out later could be an issue for a few generations. I’ll have to try and see.
It'll be interesting to note whether the aseel trait throwbacks would have a tendency to be the dominant ones in the flock once mature.

It'll be interesting to note whether the aseel trait throwbacks would have a tendency to be the dominant ones in the flock once mature.
Interestingly, the black aseel that fathered the hen died by the doing of one of the blueface of the line that forms the American components of these birds. The aseel wouldn’t quit breaking into the blueface pens on the game farm I sent him to, and he finally found a blueface he couldn’t whip. My understanding is that he was still trying to peck the blueface even when he was laying in a heap at the point the farm owner found him in the pen. He had a red hot game drive, but apparently couldn’t back it up as well as the blueface could.

Interestingly, the black aseel that fathered the hen died by the doing of one of the blueface of the line that forms the American components of these birds. The aseel wouldn’t quit breaking into the blueface pens on the game farm I sent him to, and he finally found a blueface he couldn’t whip. My understanding is that he was still trying to peck the blueface even when he was laying in a heap at the point the farm owner found him in the pen. He had a red hot game drive, but apparently couldn’t back it up as well as the blueface could.
Interesting. I suppose the blueface are quicker than the aseel.

Interesting. I suppose the blueface are quicker than the aseel.
Yes and I think bankivoid gamefowl roosters have a different method of fighting than orientals. When my orientals have had natural fights in the farmyard that I couldn’t stop in time, they tend to bite a lot. And these blueface are a lot larger than the aseel was.

Do you have any of your pure Cracker fowl left? Do you sell chicks or eggs? These are beautiful birds, and are very close to what I want to create in the future.
Yes in the sense that I have flocks of the original pure Crackers spread out on other farms of both family and acquaintances. But no insofar as on my own farm for my own breeding, I don’t breed them pure anymore. The Crackers with American gamefowl in them seem to be better chickens so that’s where I’m focusing my breeding efforts. I expect the final bird will look and act like my original Crackers, but in a larger frame and with more robust genetics. By the time I’m done, the improved Crackers will be “the” Crackers.

Farther south than where you are in FL the small town I lived in some years back had a lot of wild game type chickens all over town. Beautiful birds that thrived without help. The city had them all killed off because to many complained about roosters crowing in the mornings on the weekends. Sad state of affairs when a small town lost such a tradition. If I ever get a chance to obtain some of those type of birds and bring them to our place in S AL I will. They will roam free and nest where they please.

Yes in the sense that I have flocks of the original pure Crackers spread out on other farms of both family and acquaintances. But no insofar as on my own farm for my own breeding, I don’t breed them pure anymore. The Crackers with American gamefowl in them seem to be better chickens so that’s where I’m focusing my breeding efforts. I expect the final bird will look and act like my original Crackers, but in a larger frame and with more robust genetics. By the time I’m done, the improved Crackers will be “the” Crackers.
Interesting, so you would essentially be making a large fowl version of your original birds, but with more genetic diversity and working them towards your goals with them. Are the caretakers, or I should say owners, of these other flocks planning on keeping them pure?

Back
Top Bottom