Homemade "DONUTS" - with pictures!

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
This is my family recipe for homemade donuts. I am warning you, they are very addictive! Don't say I didn't tell you! This recipe makes more than enough to share. It is a great gift to share with neighbors, take to church get-togethers, or just to impress those you know!

**DouglasPeeps Homemade Donuts**

First
Dissolve 3 packets of yeast in 3/4c warm water (set aside)
2 cups of scalded milk (don't be afraid to scald)

1c mashed potatoes
1/2c butter
3 eggs
1/2c sugar
1tsp salt
6-7c flour

In a large mixing bowl add: milk, potatoes, butter, eggs, sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly. When cooled slightly add yeast. Beat with a wisk. Slowly work in flour, kneading until transparent - elastic. Turn into greased bowl, cover, rise until double. Punch down and cut donuts. I put the entire "mound" of dough on a floured surface, use my hand to flatten down a portion of the dough, then cut donuts, repeat until all donuts are cut. I place the cut donuts and holes on waxed paper, cover with kitchen towels, and let rise a second time (until double the size). By the time I am done, every countertop in my kitchen along with most of my kitchen table is covered with donuts rising!
Fry in hot oil (oil should be hot enough that when you drop donuts in they sink and come right back up) and flip
Dip in cinnamon and sugar
Enjoy!

Here are the pictures of my last batch!
donuts211.jpg

donuts212.jpg

donuts213.jpg

donuts214.jpg

donuts215.jpg

If you have any questions about this recipe, ask away! Enjoy!!

**ETA a little more detail
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Oh great... thank you very much. NOT! I'm just going to pretend I don't know how to cook. They look wonderful and my family loves donuts - we just don't have them very often. I am not going to make these for them because then we could have them all the time.

I'm pretty sure I'm higher out here than you are so.. the recipe would never work for me. They'd be flat! (Don't help me, I'm talking myself out of this.
big_smile.png
)

Why did you do this to me??
lol.png

Yummmm! Thanks for the recipe and all the great pics! I'm glad I just had dinner - or I would be heating the oil at this very minute - nothing's better than fresh homemade donuts for dessert!

Quote:
I do love making these together with my children. They are a lot of work, but worth it! Our tradition it to made them the first day of fall, Thanksgiving morning, the first day of winter, and maybe 1 or 2 other times a year. My kids and husband would love to have them more often!

Let me know how they turn out for you!!
big_smile.png

Henry'schickens :

My question is.....when can you ship???
droolin.gif

I wish! But it would be so much better for you to eat them while they are hot! The smell is wonderful!​

Back
Top Bottom