Honey

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I am ordering 2 full hive set-ups from an Amish builder an hour from my home. Mail 1/3 money pay the rest when you pick it up. A friend has 15+ hives and gets all her parts from him. About half the price of online. Honey here we come!

I went out yesterday to check on my bees. It was just barely warm enough and they were flying. I had one hive that I was worried about and didn't see anybody flying. Iopened it to find they had died. Well since there was nobody to use the stores and I know my other hives don't need them. So I cut out the honey filled combI. I now have 8#'s of honey/comb setting in front of the wood stove so it can get gently warm and strain. And of course it is within reach so I can munch some too

So what about the "raw, unfiltered, unheated" honey in the store...it looks and tastes very much like the regular honey in the store...then there is products like "really raw honey" that taste/look way different. How do you know?

Quote:
commercially, honey can be diluted (I think up to 20%) with water and still be marked "pure" so it may be that what you're getting is typical of that commercial type production. some honey is blended from different sources to give a more consistant color and flavor result. locally grown honey is often varietal (specifically buckwheat, or alfalfa, or orange, etc.) aor a specific seasonal mix (early summer harvest is different than mid-summer or late season) and can have quite a bit of individual character. it's almost always undiluted if you buy from a local beekeeper as well, so it'll be thicker on average.
I generally assume if I'm buying in a grocery store, it's commercially produced. not bad, but not special. that's why I buy from the local beekeepers when I can. personally I like the dark, strong flavored honey for a lot of things, but in something like chamomille tea, a lighter softer honey is nice.

Back
Top Bottom