Horses and money

Please if you don't have any real 'professional' or long time experience on the subject, don't call those offering real legitimate advice, concerns and suggestions 'jerks' because you don't like to hear the blunt reality they offer...

A quick Google search for barbed wire and horses will reveal that it's almost never appropriate fencing for horses especially young ones...

http://bfy.tw/7DVf

You can argue with anecdotal claims all you want but that doesn't change the fact that barbed wire and horse is almost never a good mix or recommend, and because a person brought this fact up does not make them a 'jerk'...

Last edited:
Please if you don't have any real 'professional' or long time experience on the subject, don't call those offering real legitimate advice, concerns and suggestions 'jerks' because you don't like to hear the blunt reality they offer...

A quick Google search for barbed wire and horses will reveal that it's almost never appropriate fencing for horses especially young ones...

You can argue with anecdotal claims all you want but that doesn't change the fact that barbed wire and horse is almost never a good mix or recommened...

I'm sorry but I did NOT call them jerks because I didn't like the advice.... in fact, I even said that some if the advice was good....

I called them jerks not because of WHAT they said but HOW they said it. And yes, they were being a jerk.

The second paragraph wasn't so bad but the first? You can't tell me that isn't even a little bit mean or at least rude.

I'll bold some of the ruder statements.

Also just because someone has more experience doesn't automatically make them exempt from the possibility of being a jerk. And it also, sorry, doesn't automatically demand respect. You have to give respect to get it imo. If someone more experienced wants to give advice, FINE, I'm all for it. Really. I love to learn as I'm sure the OP does too. But the personal attacks on someone who is trying to ask questions and learn were really not necessary. Would you rather they justgo out and do what they were planning without ever asking any questions? Asking questions and doing things is how you gain experience. So to bash her for being inexperienced just doesn't make sense. Especially when she is trying to ask questions and learn to become more experienced. And most especially since I'm pretty sure every single one of you was inexperienced once....

THAT is why I called them a jerk. NOT because of the advice, most of which, like I said before, was GOOD ADVICE.

I'm not denying that. But I'm against attack people for no reason.

OMG...  As a horse owner, I have to tell you that you need a LOT more experience and training. From your questions alone, there is no way I would entrust a horse to you. Add to that the fact that you think barbed wire is acceptable horse fencing!!!!  Young horses in barbed wire....that is a disaster waiting to happen and you don't have the experience to even know that???    You don't know enough about horses to be training.   I'm sure you have good intentions, and I do't want to squash your dreams, but I'd advise you to walk before you attempt running.

Right now, what you are talking about is basically backyard breeding.  Believe me, the horse world does NOT need anymore backyard breeders.  If you are really serious about making horses your life, you should look for a well established trainer and see if they are taking apprentices.  From what you've revealed so far, I doubt they would consider you have enough knowledge but they might be willing to let you hang around and learn a few things.  I TRULY don't mean to be insulting, but your lack of knowledge and experience is shining through your posts. It's fine to dream, but it's better to dream realistically.  Is there any school around with an equine program?  Maybe your equine vet needs volunteer help?  You have a LOT to learn.  Also, look into liability insurance because if you continue with your plans you are SERIOUSLY going to need it.

Really just the whole thing has an aire of arrogance and personal attacks. Maybe that was not the intention but they keep reiterated how little experience she supposedly has and how no one would hire her yet she's on here asking questions trying to learn... heck, they even bashed the questions she's asking....

I'm sorry but there is a difference between being "blunt" and being an outright jerk. This person, especially with all the little digs and attacks on OP, is the latter. If they hadn't included those I might say they were just blunt.

You can argue with anecdotal claims all you want but that doesn't change the fact that barbed wire and horse is almost never a good mix or recommend, and because a person brought this fact up does not make them a 'jerk'...

And again i didnt say the advice was bad, even said some of it was good and even agreed with the barbed wire thing, and i did not say they were a jerk because they said barbed wire was bad... it was the way the said everything. Rereading both posts might help

How do you make money off of horses? And I'm not talking about getting rich or turning a huge profit. But making enough to provide feed, care, and possibly some tack for them, without paying for it out of pocket.
I was kickin around some ideas and thought of having a couple stallions to stud out, not sure how reasonable it is, but if they were proven and had good bloodlines and conformation, maybe it could help lesson the feed bill?

Nope. The backyard breeder can't make money off horses.

They aren't planning on backyard breeding. If you read their other posts you'd see that they're planning on competing in reining and proving his worth and possibly campaigning him. They're not just breeding foals for a profit like some horse mill or something...

But that said you probably have to get to the very upper levels of reining for it to be worth it or people to be interested

I'm sorry but I did NOT call them jerks because I didn't like the advice....

Then why did you say while defending the use of barbed wire? Seems like you were in fact attacking the message and the messenger...

That person was a complete jerk and obviously barbed wire can be used correctly and without issues

You can't tell me that isn't even a little bit mean or at least rude.

Sometimes the blunt reality and truth hurts, doesn't make the message any less relevant even if you don't like the way it was told...

Fact is barbed wire is not an appropriate fence for horses and one that is trying to break into the profession of horse training should be well aware of this... I don't care if it's been used or is used by this or that guy, it's not an appropriate fence anymore than chicken wire is an appropriate fence to protect chickens from predators...

Last edited:
Then why did you say while defending the use of barbed wire? Seems like you were in fact attacking the message and the messenger...

Sometimes the blunt reality and truth hurts, doesn't make the message any less relevant even if you don't like the way it was told...

Fact is barbed wire is not an appropriate fence for horses and one that is trying to break into the profession of horse training should be well aware of this... I don't care if it's been used or is used by this or that guy, it's not an appropriate fence anymore than chicken wire is an appropriate fence to protect chickens from predators...

When did i defend the use of barbed wire? I didn't think i did in the original reply to that person. Unless you mean after? In which case i wasnt really defending it, more just accepting the fact that it's already there and they dont have a choice. I never said it was a good choice but it's already there.

And yes, I know it's not an appropriate fence so I'm not really sure why you're so fixated on the barbed wire fence part... there were many other things they said in their post besides the barbed wire part that were just as rude. Maybe they're true but the way it was said wasn't necessary is all I'm saying. Not saying what was said wasn't true. But was it really necessary for them to attack someone asking questions and learning? In fact it seems rather contradictory to attack them for being inexperienced yet then attack the very questions they ask...

Perhaps the best way to make money with horses (if there is such a thing LOL!) would be to purchase a horse and train it to be a competent mount. There are plenty of non-registered grade horses that could use some training and plenty of kids (and adults) looking for steady mounts in an affordable price range. Until you do gain more experience, I would skip the stallions for now. They are a lot more in every aspect of horse keeping. And if you ever do get the opportunity, try to intern or become a working student for an experienced horseperson in your desired discipline. The knowledge I gained from my stint as a working student is irreplaceable and I learned so much and had fun!! Good luck.

Thank you @KDOGG331.
And if they had just pointed out that barbed wire wasn't sutible for horses, I would not have been upset. In fact all I ever even said was that my cousin keeps her stud in with barbed wire. Heck, my place could be 40 acres of pipe fencing for all they knew but they still came in bashing my experience and knowledge based off of a type of fencing. Yes, my grandparents place has barbed wire, there's nothing I can do about that, it's not up to me what my grandpa fences with. And yes my place already does have barbed wire, but I'm not adding any more barbed wire to it, and eventually id like to replace what barbed wire is currently there. It's not like I'm oblivious to the fact that it's dangerous. I'm well aware. All I'm saying is that people around here don't care. I do happen to care, and don't particularly want to use it with my horses, but I only have so much money.
This thread was just so I could learn about stallions, so I didn't just go out and buy one without knowing what I'm doing. And I don't plan on having one any time soon.
And some people are clearly posting responses with out reading what has been said in the later comments.

Back
Top Bottom