Hot weather!

My chickens are getting irritated by the hot weather! Do you know of anything I could
do that is NOT AT ALL expensive? They don't lay AS MANY eggs. They lay sometimes but
they are always wanting to be out, I understand that it might get really hot with all those feathers
but I can be outside with them ALL the time. So is there anything I can do that isn't expensive?

Ya they always have water. And they have an inclosed run around are and it is pretty much
shaded. But they still do all those things
idunno.gif

i'm not convinced shade is sufficient. my girls' run is almost entirely in the shade & they have been panting & dropping their wings for the past three days.
i'm pretty spooked about the heat. i'm hoping the mister will help. i know it would if they will take advantage of it. i'm just not sure they will.

Here' what my chickens loved, some of them.
Just put a large bucket of water that is short enough for them to step into in their cage. Individually place each chicken in the water. They'll probably jump out immediately, but, some may stay. Many of them will realize how good it feels and get in by themselves sometimes. And if they don't, then it'll just be an extra waterer.

Here's my chicken doing it.

Here' what my chickens loved, some of them.
Just put a large bucket of water that is short enough for them to step into in their cage. Individually place each chicken in the water. They'll probably jump out immediately, but, some may stay. Many of them will realize how good it feels and get in by themselves sometimes. And if they don't, then it'll just be an extra waterer.

Here's my chicken doing it.

clap.gif
That is quite clever, I'll have to try that. Mine free range during the afternoon, which is the warmest part of the day so they can usually find shade if they get too hot. Last year when it was 100 degrees for weeks I had a large floor fan blowing on them in their nesting area. Maybe, for an enclosed run you could use the same method.

Last edited:
Great idea with the water in the dish pan. When my chickens are in the tractor I run water along one side and watch them walk around in it. I change their drinking water a couple times a day, cool fresh water is a must. Shade and a breeze also makes for more comfortable chickens. I adjust tarp to create good shade, if no breeze I pull out the box fan and create breeze. In the hot weather I buy alot of watermelon and cantaloupe. We rest during the mid-day heat, they have their favorite nap places, in the dirt and under shade. Hopefully this summer will be less intense then last year.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom