House Chicken?

Ask for a script. Your vet won't have it in stock as it isn't approved or used for chickens (but it seems to work here with no side effects). The generic drug name is valacyclovir. Preventing stress is the main thing.
😂 valtrex?? That quote doesn't belong to me... careful when you edit..

We got 4 different multi-colour silkies (1 week old), 1 lavender Araucana (1 week), and 2 laced Easter Eggers (confirmed girls), 1 gold, 1 silver (2 weeks)

They are a little skittish (the older ones), but I’m hoping to make them friendly. They are shy, but ver curious, and will peck at any mark on my hand. They slept in a smal, box with a heat lamp in my room last night. I had to convince my parents to let them go in my room (they thought it would wake me up), but I went really well, and I want to be able to watch them carefully, our heat lamp Is not great, but we have ordered a better one. They have a little coop to live in once they are old enough, and then in a couple months they’ll go in with my other bantams.

2C713833-BA4B-4AAE-B499-4549C80B8F2F.jpeg
6A5A1C3F-2D27-48B9-A3D8-98ACDA63F283.jpeg
8CBD7154-B807-48AB-A5E3-55592E47C1BF.jpeg
CFFFACB5-3B3E-413C-BBD0-90DB61A60E97.jpeg
35F4B0AF-140C-447F-AAFA-6BF478D7406D.jpeg

I am currently sitting on my bed with 3 baby silkies and a hot water bottle on my lap. Yesterday my mum had all 7....they slept for an hour......it was pretty adorable........The silkies are pretty friendly, but my lavender Araucana chick (nicknamed "stegalls." because she looks like a baby stegosaurus with her chubby cheeks and poofy head, Stegall is a poultry meat company.

Stegalls is very skittish. She did ok cuddling with us last night but freaks out when I put my hand near her in the brooder. If I keep cuddling with them like this do you think they'll grow up friendly?

I am currently sitting on my bed with 3 baby silkies and a hot water bottle on my lap. Yesterday my mum had all 7....they slept for an hour......it was pretty adorable........The silkies are pretty friendly, but my lavender Araucana chick (nicknamed "stegalls." because she looks like a baby stegosaurus with her chubby cheeks and poofy head, Stegall is a poultry meat company.

Stegalls is very skittish. She did ok cuddling with us last night but freaks out when I put my hand near her in the brooder. If I keep cuddling with them like this do you think they'll grow up friendly?
Maybe? Every chicken is different. The extra attention can go a long way to making them friendly. When they are old enough for special treats, food is often a big help. Some are simply more friendly than others.
My chickens are relatively friendly but only a couple like being held and only one literally jumps on me to be held.
The thing about most brooders- they have sides and the only time a chick sees you is when you reach in. That can be scary. When you can have them out, that is good (make sure they are warm!)
Love the name and breeds!

Maybe? Every chicken is different. The extra attention can go a long way to making them friendly. When they are old enough for special treats, food is often a big help. Some are simply more friendly than others.
My chickens are relatively friendly but only a couple like being held and only one literally jumps on me to be held.
The thing about most brooders- they have sides and the only time a chick sees you is when you reach in. That can be scary. When you can have them out, that is good (make sure they are warm!)
Love the name and breeds!
They seem to really like napping on the hot water bottles. I just got the last 3 out; steggals, angel who is a silver laced easter egger, and my gold-laced easter egger. All 4 sikies were sleeping peacefully until stegalls came. We call her the party pooper, because she always wakes all the other babies up, and well, poops. A LOT.

@Wallwallybir, is it possible that your chick hatched without a broody sitting on the eggs? And if not, don't you have a hen who is missing her chick?
I have no broody hens and there were no chickens near it. It was buried in an old bale of hay along with two rotten eggs. (Rotten to the point of bursting green/smelly on contact.) The only potential mothers are not at all broody.
I have another post where I explained the situation.

It's pretty hard to find info on how to raise a house chicken.....I mean, if I just do everything with them and cuddle them every day they should be friendly, right? I can't really encourage them with food yet, since they are so little.
I don't have an answer full here but I will say this: everyone raises their birds a little different, and every bird is different. You do your best and raise them well.
If they see you as a non-threatening provider, odds are they will love you.
I remember a while ago that I was working through issues with a cockerel, and one of my methods was to handle him daily- some people told me to eat him and others told me to leave him be (not hold him). I specifically remember being told "they aren't feathered puppies". This quote is accurate but it was also discouraging. I kept up what I was doing and that cockerel became the best roo I ever had.
Keep in mind that chickens aren't like other animals though. Chicken behavior and instinct is different. However, that does not mean that a little work won't got a long way towards them being good pets.

Attention is important. How you handle them is important. You likely don't want the only interaction you have with them, being you sticking your claw-like hand in the brooder and grabbing them. That is terrifying! Let them eat out of your hand and sit in your palm. If/when you have them out, talk to them and let them get used to you, hold them, etc.

You seem to have a lot of patience and good intent. Good luck raising your chickens! And whether or not they stay super cuddly, love them anyway!

Back
Top Bottom