House infested with chicken mites

DE is a deterrent at best. ACV is a great source of calcium, both for humans, and animals. IF you don't have an infestation, using deterrents is good, but when you've got a full blown infestation, it's time to use something that's quick, and effective. I agree that overuse is not good. BTW, DE causes respiratory issues, so even be careful using that.

As with chemicals....even apple cider can cause excess acid and gastric conditions......all must be used wisely...also.
Yep...DE to be used only with proper breathing control and with animals outside.

Whitewashing the coop will kill me tes in the wood and their eggs. You want 3 parts barn/hydrated/masonry lime (NOT garden lime) and one part salt mixed with enough water to bring it to the consistency of fresh milk. It will paint on not looking like much, but dry bright white. It will flake and rub off over time, so plan on doing it once a year.

They were literally jumping out of the soil around our feet.
@Msm1707 are you sure they weren't fleas?
Mites don't live on the ground...and they don't jump.
Curious .......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586296064995.png

@Msm1707 are you sure they weren't fleas?
Mites don't live on the ground...and they don't jump.
Curious .......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2079178
Thanks I’ve updated it. I live in Perth, Western Australia. I’m not sure if anything to be honest. I googled the pictures of both and they looked more like mites but they are so tiny. Also the jumping things I thought were the adults are actually some sort of native beetle and it was just a coincident that I saw them on the same day. So not jumpers just very small.

There are SO many insects around, and most of them won't harm poultry.
But it can be freaky when a big hatch happens and they're biting you.
They are hard to ID, especially the tiny ones.
I catch 'em on cello tape so they can be observed and photographed.

Help...I believe I have a mite infestation in my house and in my bed. I keep a kennel in my bedroom and have brought injured chickens to spend time in the kennel. Recently I had a young hen pass away and I am guessing that is where the mites came. I am constantly cleaning my bedding, but now can't even get a full night's sleep...I have bites all over my body from head to toe. I don't know what to do...am ready to burn my bed. I can not see the mites....I look and look and can not see them. Help.

Help...I believe I have a mite infestation in my house and in my bed. I keep a kennel in my bedroom and have brought injured chickens to spend time in the kennel. Recently I had a young hen pass away and I am guessing that is where the mites came. I am constantly cleaning my bedding, but now can't even get a full night's sleep...I have bites all over my body from head to toe. I don't know what to do...am ready to burn my bed. I can not see the mites....I look and look and can not see them. Help.

Did you try any of the things I posted here? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/evil-chicken-mites.1354517/#post-22342505

Did you check the deceased hen (or the rest of the flock, for that matter) for mites? If you can confirm the birds have mites, then at least you'll know what you need to treat for. The birds will need to also be treated concurrently.

Count on vacuuming a lot, and washing/drying sheets. If these are Northern fowl mites you won't see them, but as they can't survive off human blood they'll die off gradually. Red mites can live longer, but you could try checking crevices near where the kennel sits. You're looking for tiny red dots that move when their hiding spot is disturbed.

Talk to your doctor about Ivermectin. It's prescribed for parasites, including lice and scabies. It's available in pill form for humans.

It's also the same drug that has been found to be effective against COVID19 -- but it's been used for over 40 years for all kinds of other stuff, too.

Did you try any of the things I posted here? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/evil-chicken-mites.1354517/#post-22342505

Did you check the deceased hen (or the rest of the flock, for that matter) for mites? If you can confirm the birds have mites, then at least you'll know what you need to treat for. The birds will need to also be treated concurrently.

Count on vacuuming a lot, and washing/drying sheets. If these are Northern fowl mites you won't see them, but as they can't survive off human blood they'll die off gradually. Red mites can live longer, but you could try checking crevices near where the kennel sits. You're looking for tiny red dots that move when their hiding spot is disturbed.
I buried the hen right away...that was a couple weeks ago. I will have to look at the others. I have not had a moment to spare....I am a Teacher and I have 13 dogs, more cats, the 11 chickens and have spent the last 4 days prepping for a major storm and freeze in the Houston area....along with tending to a very sick cat that I had to put to sleep this week. My life has been hell. But I have tried looking and I don't see any bugs...but I have about 200 bites on my body....it is horrific. I actually slathered myself in almond oil and an anti bug essential oil mix last night and finally got a night's sleep without scratching all night long from the new bites. I also have the 2 chickens that live in the office room next to my bedroom and won't be able to get them outside till Saturday after the the freezing temps and snow have stopped. I have 2 washing machines that have been going nonstop since yesterday. Can the northern fowl mites or the red mites live off of my cats or dogs? I do see red dots that do not move....even bought a magnifying glass...I think those are just flea droppings off the cats. We have fleas even with monthly flea treatments. The other issue is there are 2 oppossums that live under my house and they they have broken into the HVAC ducts as I caught one in the house one morning, eating the cat food. Can the mites live on Oppossums? I hate the ducts in these double wides as they have a fiberglass internal lining that allows fleas and what not to live in the material. I am trying to research how to replace them with something else that animals can not chew thru.

Back
Top Bottom