1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big is a rooster's stomach?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dustbath, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    Does anyone know the approximate stomach capacity of a 7.3 pound Wyandotte rooster? I want to give him fluids by beak but I'm afraid of overdoing it.

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm afraid I don't, but I was told at least 1/2 pint a day for hens. I'd go with between 300-500ml and see how he fairs. It's probably better to have a bit too much than too little.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you are tubing him food mix, then I'd give about 30 - 40cc's into the croup, not stomach. See how that fills hims then go from their. Less is better as too much will over flow and aspirate him. I want to say 50 - 60cc was about normal for a large breed. Fluids I'd give 1/2 that .

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    Thanks!!! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Right now I've just been giving him fluids by the tube, along with his medication. If I were to add some food, how would I do that? Mix his mash into water to make a liquid? How often would you recommend giving the amounts of fluids and food you suggested? ie, is the 30 to 40 cc the total amount per day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by