How big should my coop and run be?

Chickmama77

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 18, 2018
hi!

I’m new to raising backyard chickens. And this site has been absolutely perfect! I have 6 chicks (15 days old) I have 2 of each ...buff Orpington, speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red. So far so good with the brooder. I’m in the process of having a 8x8x8 coop built in my detached 2 car garage. And I’m extending a run off of the garage 7x6x6. Problem is, I’m reading that the run should be at least 60sf and the coop should be at least 18sf ... I have 64sf in the coop; and only 48sf in the run... is this enough total space? I’m also reading that chickens will go back and forth between the two spaces throughout the day. I will let the chickens out of the run and let them roam the yard occasionally. But most of their time will be spent in their designated areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You’ll find they will spend most of their waking hours outside. Those are bare minimum areas but since your total space meets those minimums and you will also let them out occasionally IMO it should be ok. The important thing is that if anyone is being bullied they have space to get away.

Back
Top Bottom