how do i help my ducks nose?

rahaf

Chirping
Apr 18, 2023
hello everyone, ive had this duck and stuff always gets in her nose and she seems bothered by it, she has water deep enough to clear her nose but she doesnt seem to clean her nose rlly well, today i went and found another hairs in her nose and also some discharge, she eats drinks and is active
what could it be? i tried to remove it but could there be smth else it there? what do u guys reccomend

Attachments

• 20230504_155636.jpg
    20230504_155636.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 28
hello everyone, ive had this duck and stuff always gets in her nose and she seems bothered by it, she has water deep enough to clear her nose but she doesnt seem to clean her nose rlly well, today i went and found another hairs in her nose and also some discharge, she eats drinks and is active
what could it be? i tried to remove it but could there be smth else it there? what do u guys reccomend
You have a very adorable duck!

Ducks do often have things in their nose, and they don't always clean them out very well. Can I get a closer picture of her nose? Is the thing you were concerned about still there?

My ducks will walk around with feathers stuck all over their beak for like 20 minutes. They have the ability to clean it off.... they just don't care enough to do so for lengthy periods of time.

You have a very adorable duck!

Ducks do often have things in their nose, and they don't always clean them out very well. Can I get a closer picture of her nose? Is the thing you were concerned about still there?

My ducks will walk around with feathers stuck all over their beak for like 20 minutes. They have the ability to clean it off.... they just don't care enough to do so for lengthy periods of time.
thank u!! and i wish i could take a closer picture but its super hot out rn and i cant overheat her by chasing her :( ill try my best to whenever the weather cools down a bit! but u can see thro her nose but i guess there could be smth else stuck in there, i didnt wanna mess w it too much with a toothpick so i dont push it further but she breaths, eats and drinks just fine she just seems to sneeze a bit with now a bit of discharge, if that could help when we first got her she used to do the same then she stopped and now shes doing it again

thank u!! and i wish i could take a closer picture but its super hot out rn and i cant overheat her by chasing her :( ill try my best to whenever the weather cools down a bit! but u can see thro her nose but i guess there could be smth else stuck in there, i didnt wanna mess w it too much with a toothpick so i dont push it further but she breaths, eats and drinks just fine she just seems to sneeze a bit with now a bit of discharge, if that could help when we first got her she used to do the same then she stopped and now shes doing it again
If you can see though her nose, she can probably breathe just fine. The discharge might be water she washed out her nose with, or it might be something to be concerned about. Take a picture when you can, and we'll take a look. :)

If you can see though her nose, she can probably breathe just fine. The discharge might be water she washed out her nose with, or it might be something to be concerned about. Take a picture when you can, and we'll take a look. :)
i finally got some pictures! sorry for the wait, and i think u were right about the water! cuz i havent seen anything come out of her nose since that one time, these pics r right after she woke up btw

Attachments

• 20230517_053629.jpg
    20230517_053629.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230517_053627.jpg
    20230517_053627.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230517_053706.jpg
    20230517_053706.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 5
i finally got some pictures! sorry for the wait, and i think u were right about the water! cuz i havent seen anything come out of her nose since that one time, these pics r right after she woke up btw
Good job on getting a picture! I know ducks can some times be difficult!
I think she's doing fine and just being a duck. If you see something in her nose for a prolonged period of time (like a day) or discharge that's not water, feel free to let us know.
Good job on being a dedicated duck parent!

Good job on getting a picture! I know ducks can some times be difficult!
I think she's doing fine and just being a duck. If you see something in her nose for a prolonged period of time (like a day) or discharge that's not water, feel free to let us know.
Good job on being a dedicated duck parent!
thank you so so much for helping!! i hope she stops sneezing like she did before, and ill still keep a close eye on her! and thank u again for the help especially since im not too experianced and a bit new to this, i really appreciate it!

You're more than welcome!

We were all new once. I remember the panic of not knowing how to fix my friend.

... When you know more, pay it forward. ❤️
im back again! but i seem to have another issue i just found out about :( so she did stop sneezing! but then today i noticed her limping and sitting more, i also had another drake that does that for a while, he also has swelling in his bill but i didnt think much of that for a long time cuz it seemed on and off
so i researched today and i think its a niacin deficiency, my question is can i resolve that w nutritional yeast? or do i need to get supplements? i didnt even know ducks needed niacin since the guy at the store said they can just eat the chickens feed :(

im back again! but i seem to have another issue i just found out about :( so she did stop sneezing! but then today i noticed her limping and sitting more, i also had another drake that does that for a while, he also has swelling in his bill but i didnt think much of that for a long time cuz it seemed on and off
so i researched today and i think its a niacin deficiency, my question is can i resolve that w nutritional yeast? or do i need to get supplements? i didnt even know ducks needed niacin since the guy at the store said they can just eat the chickens feed :(
Yes, get nutritional yeast. I think its supposed to be 1 tsp mixed in with 1 cup of feed.

How old are your ducks? It's super important in ducklings up to about 4-5 months, after that its still a good idea, but not as super important.

I give my adult ducks chicken feed, but I put yeast over treats that I give them a couple of times a week and my birds all free range, so they get niacin from eating bugs. As ducklings, they got duckling specific food.

Back
Top Bottom