How do I stop a raccoon from stealing eggs?

waddlesposy

Hatching
Jun 11, 2017
Over the past week a raccoon has been getting into my duck shed and stealing the eggs and food. I've been too afraid to collect the eggs because i feel like once there is no food for the raccoon, it will go after my ducks (it hasn't messed with them). I would close the shed during the day but i feel like the raccoon would just go after the ducks. we captured the raccoon in a cage and found out it's a female. she looks like she could be an active mother. It is illegal in ohio to relocate a raccoon. the only choice the law gives you is to release the raccoon onto the property you caught it or kill it. I DO NOT want to kill her. i don't know what to do to keep her away from my shed now that she knows that there's food she's going to keep coming back:(

If you weren't going to kill her, why did you bother trapping her? You just created a trap savvy coon!

It sounds like you need to beef up the security of your duck house/run. If the coon can get eggs it can get your birds, too. If you free range with no protection then you need to accept that some loss will occur. That alerts you to when you need to trap and kill to remove the immediate threat. Predator density will then dictate how frequently you will need to trap. If you free range with some protection like poultry netting or a LGD then trapping may not be necessary. The need to trap at all is eliminated completely by containing your birds in a predator proof enclosure.

Like others have said, it is only a matter of time now before you will be missing ducks.
Since you have trapped it and released it, it knows what a trap is and will avoid it.
A mother coon will soon be bringing her kits with her to teach them how to hunt and get easy food.

You do have some choices, as mentioned you can call animal control and see if they will trap and remove the coon. You can invest in a high powered electric fence energizer and lay out enough wires to make sure it gets a charge when it tries to come again. You can dispatch it.
The one thing to realize about all predators is that when they find easy food sources, they never forget them and will take advantage of easy calories until there are none.

I love all animals but when a predator threatens my own food supply, they must be dealt with quickly and firmly.

Your local animal control is likely an option too if you personally don't want to kill her. Whatever you do, don't release her back onto your property--when she does start killing your poultry, she will be much less likely to go into a trap next time, if at all.

Since you don't want to kill her you will have to build a better building for your ducks/poultry/fowl. Remember one raccoon will eventually bring the family and you will have to deal with a number of them. You will have to do your research and be willing to spend money on a predator-proof building. If you have small children make sure they do not get in contact with the feces. Other livestock and pets need to be vaccinated for rabies. You can have someone (a professional critter-getter) set traps and dispose of the animal for you. I thoroughly understand your desire to live and let live but believe me that coon will destroy your flock the moment it can. And you have every right to defend your flock from a predator. And right now you are being presented with the dark side of flock-keeping. You gotta protect your flock. That's your job. If you don't know how handle a firearm then get a professional wildlife control expert to help you out. Good luck and keep your flock safe!

:welcome It's just a matter of time I'm afraid. Relocating her could just put the problem onto someone else. Can you secure up your fencing so to prevent her from getting in??

I'm afraid I would be more concerned over when she decides to attack your ducks as I've heard over where you live in US they are partial to eating duck and chicken I don't think you really have much choice she needs dispatching :fl

Back
Top Bottom