How do Sex Links do in the winter?

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I have some 13 or so week old black sex links. I'm just wondering, what are you guy's experiance with Sex Links laying in winter? I definitally think they deserve a break and everything, and I'm a no light person, but I was just wondering. We have some Red Sex Links but I can't tell off them because they are 6-8 years old and still lay sometimes and summer
clap.gif
. They difinitally deserve a break! And also, I have a leghorn. Any experiances with those? I know both of these breeds are supposed to be egg laying machines!

scratch'n'peck :

Those 13, week old chicks won't start laying until spring probably. I don't have experience with sex-links really, but I thought I would chime in.

Oh yeah, I know that, I was just wondering for the future.​

My BSL's laid almost as well in the winter as they did the rest of the year. In fact, I would have had no eggs during Dec & Jan had it not been for those 2 gals. Unfortunately, I lost one of them and the other went through a molt and hasn't started up again. So, if they are old enough and not molting, the season doesn't seem to bother them.

I have RSLs. They have laid non-stop, even in winter, for the past few years. Winter rates are the same, if not better, than those in the summer.
big_smile.png
They do however run out of steam very fast, and "retire" after a couple of years. Before that mine didn't even molt!

Back
Top Bottom