How do Sex Links do in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Dec 7, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I have some 13 or so week old black sex links. I'm just wondering, what are you guy's experiance with Sex Links laying in winter? I definitally think they deserve a break and everything, and I'm a no light person, but I was just wondering. We have some Red Sex Links but I can't tell off them because they are 6-8 years old and still lay sometimes and summer [​IMG] . They difinitally deserve a break! And also, I have a leghorn. Any experiances with those? I know both of these breeds are supposed to be egg laying machines!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Those 13, week old chicks won't start laying until spring probably. I don't have experience with sex-links really, but I thought I would chime in.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    scratch'n'peck :

Those 13, week old chicks won't start laying until spring probably. I don't have experience with sex-links really, but I thought I would chime in.

Oh yeah, I know that, I was just wondering for the future.​

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    My BSL's laid almost as well in the winter as they did the rest of the year. In fact, I would have had no eggs during Dec & Jan had it not been for those 2 gals. Unfortunately, I lost one of them and the other went through a molt and hasn't started up again. So, if they are old enough and not molting, the season doesn't seem to bother them.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I have RSLs. They have laid non-stop, even in winter, for the past few years. Winter rates are the same, if not better, than those in the summer. [​IMG] They do however run out of steam very fast, and "retire" after a couple of years. Before that mine didn't even molt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by