How do you feed a flock with mixed ages and sexes?

LaceyRenea1988

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2017
Question- first the backround.. I have girls that range from 22 weeks-18weeks- half of them have just started laying.. Then i have a group of 11 week olds- 2 of which i believe are roo.. All are living as one flock... So my question is-- What should i feed them.. I know my layers need layer feed.. And i know my younger ones should not be eating layer.. But its impossible to feed them separately.. What does everyone else do for their mixed flocks???

If you offer oyster shell on the side, the ones that are laying don't actually need layer feed. My recommendation would be to feed them a starter/grower or an all flock feed like Purina Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell on the side free choice for the ones that need it to take as needed.

you can feed them all the same thing everybody gets layer they are all at same layer age so everyone get layer roosters can eat layer too and crack corn to start them out and with grit seperate and plenty of water

If you offer oyster shell on the side, the ones that are laying don't actually need layer feed. My recommendation would be to feed them a starter/grower or an all flock feed like Purina Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell on the side free choice for the ones that need it to take as needed.
you cant use starter and grower they are layer if you use starter and grower youll hurt the chance of soft eggs they must be on egg layer and oyster shell to help harden the eggs

you cant use starter and grower they are layer if you use starter and grower youll hurt the chance of soft eggs they must be on egg layer and oyster shell to help harden the eggs

Yes you can. That's what I feed my birds and have for years. Common myth that laying birds MUST have layer. They don't need to if they have another source of calcium, like oyster shell. I have never had egg problems.

False. Laying hens can get all the calcium they need from crushed oyster shell. They do not ever NEED layer feed. I've never fed it, and have never had a single shell quality issue.

Yes you can. That's what I feed my birds and have for years. Common myth that laying birds MUST have layer. They don't need to if they have another source of calcium, like oyster shell. I have never had egg problems.
:goodpost:

Personally, I feed layer as soon as they're old enough to move outdoors. :oops: Likely a bad idea but it's always worked for me, especially since I do not keep non-laying birds. The all flock is quite expensive here and I cannot afford to feed all my birds on it, unfortunately.

I think management also has an effect on whether you will have kidney or other issues from the extra calcium. If you're free ranging and giving scraps, then they're not getting as much layer.

I provide some oyster shell on the side for the layers now and then.

So is All flock what ishould technically be using? Somebody mentioned kidney issues.. Could that arise if i feed everyone Layer?

So is All flock what ishould technically be using? Somebody mentioned kidney issues.. Could that arise if i feed everyone Layer?

Technically yes it could, too much calcium can cause kidney damage and other issues. An all flock is good, or just a starter/grower will work too, as long as with either option you offer oyster shell on the side.

Back
Top Bottom