How do you label your eggs for sale?

ilovedragons2

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Eastern OHIO
My hens are getting ready to start laying eggs and I want to know how I should label the cartons. My chickens are cage free and fed organic food/scratch and some table scraps. I don't want to wash the eggs so they'll last longer without refrigeration. Do the eggs NEED to be washed before use? I'll wipe off any crud that may be on them but do they actually need to be rinsed/washed before use? If I have to wash them, what do I need to coat them with before sale?

I don't wash the eggs, if they are dirty I keep them for us to use. @Blooie recommended on another thread to date them in pencil when you collect them. Then write the date range (ex: Eggs Collected 7/24-7/25) in pencil on the carton, which is awesome because it erases really easily. I've been doing that for a few weeks and it is fabulous. We mostly just give extras to family, but we do sell a few, so far everyone is loving them being dated.

@KikiLeigh02 Thanks for the tag, and I'm so glad that it works for you as well as it worked for me. I live in a pretty rural area where there are almost as many egg sellers as there are people who want to buy, so having the eggs marked was a huge selling point for mine. People are used to looking for those dates on products they buy, so it's become almost expected that they have that information now. And it takes just seconds to do. Thank you.

I sell 6 dozen eggs a week and if they come out of the nesting boxes clean or just with wood shavings stuck to them I don't wash them. However, if they have poop on them then I do wash them. I allow them to air dry and then put them in the fridge. Eggs that I keep for myself live on the counter (unless they were really dirty in which case they are washed and put in the fridge). We use them so quickly and I know that they can keep for at least a month on the counter so I don't even think twice about it.
Most folks do keep their eggs in the fridge though so the eggs for sale are always sold 'cold'.
Welcome to the egg selling business BTW, I hope you manage to make enough to cover the cost of the feed at least!

Back
Top Bottom