How is your flock today?

I'm doing good here, thank you! I'm just sitting here drinking my coffee and trying to catch up on my email's, and post's from here at BYC. I will most likely have to turn the mister's back on for the flock today, and bring ice for the waterer's. It's already 96-F. out there. I took care of the chick's food and water last night before sleeping, but they are in the brooder in the house.

I have been seriously thinking about getting some of those Bielefelder chick's. I have heard that they have nice friendly personalities, and you can tell what sex that they are at day old's.

How are you and your flock doing?
Holy smokes ! I am a little behind here . All the animals are doing good And we take it one day at a time . :love

Hi you all , How are you folks doing today . My computer just went crazy flashing on every post don't know what it did ? Don't know if it was hackers or what ?
Whatever it was, I hope that it straightens out for you.

I moved my 4 chick's outside to the grow out pen before dark last night. They are a month old now and were getting to rambunctious in the brooder. I went out to check on them and the flock several time's today, and the chick's seem to be adjusting ok.

I'm calling my flock's integration successful! The adults mostly ignore the pullets, though my meanie, Lark, will occasionally go after them. The pullets mostly just stay out of the adults' way.

I think my roo is starting to think of the pullets as "his" birds. When they were first in the coop, if I petted them, he didn't care. Now he wants to know what I'm doing. I went to pick one up and she squawked. He came running.

The pullets don't seem to want to roost at night, even though I put up one for them, separate from the adult roost. They have their cuddle huddle puddle in the corner, and that's where they sleep. I tried blocking that corner off, and they picked another corner, not the roost. I put up another roost, close to the second corner, nada.

I unblocked the first corner today, and they went back there. I can't really get them out of that corner and put them on the roost, so they're going to have to figure it out. Silly birds.

I'm calling my flock's integration successful! The adults mostly ignore the pullets, though my meanie, Lark, will occasionally go after them. The pullets mostly just stay out of the adults' way.

I think my roo is starting to think of the pullets as "his" birds. When they were first in the coop, if I petted them, he didn't care. Now he wants to know what I'm doing. I went to pick one up and she squawked. He came running.

The pullets don't seem to want to roost at night, even though I put up one for them, separate from the adult roost. They have their cuddle huddle puddle in the corner, and that's where they sleep. I tried blocking that corner off, and they picked another corner, not the roost. I put up another roost, close to the second corner, nada.

I unblocked the first corner today, and they went back there. I can't really get them out of that corner and put them on the roost, so they're going to have to figure it out. Silly birds.
Yes, they don't always do what we human's want them to do.

We are in day 3 of training the blue-banded chicks (7 weeks) to go into the coop at night by themselves. Doing great! Last night hubby hand to round up 4 of the 9 in this group from under the camper-coop, but once placed on the ramp, they went into the pop-door just fine. Tonight I found just one still running around looking for her buddies. I shook my stick at her, and she went straight in. Might be ready to open the gate & let them explore free-ranging with the flock tomorrow. Or maybe not. I take it day-by-day.

Glad to hear that your flock integration went smoothly for you, how many weeks old are they again?

I am getting ready to do the same with our first hatch of 11, which all but 3 are cockerels from the looks of it! :gig Crazy part is our second hatch of 10 looks to only have 2 cockerels in the bunch, so go figure! LOL

I could never understand why our first 11 like to cuddle huddle in the corner at night also over roost. They will roost during the day, but for whatever their reasons , they all like to huddle in the corner at night, those silly turkeys! LOL

Glad to hear your Roo is doing well for you, nothing worse then an over aggressive Rooster!

I have a bit of sad news to announce, we just lost our first member out of our small flock, Chewy is no longer with us. During his necropsy it was determent that the cause of death was a severed jugular from a freshly sharpened hatchet! :gig

I didn't want to have to do it, but I was tired of Chewy challenging me every time I went into the coop. Thankfully Kung Pao Chewy's replacement is turning out to be a very docile young rooster so far, he sees me and goes the other direction. I can pick up the hens and he could care less! LOL I guess time will tell with him also. :)

We are in day 3 of training the blue-banded chicks (7 weeks) to go into the coop at night by themselves. Doing great! Last night hubby hand to round up 4 of the 9 in this group from under the camper-coop, but once placed on the ramp, they went into the pop-door just fine. Tonight I found just one still running around looking for her buddies. I shook my stick at her, and she went straight in. Might be ready to open the gate & let them explore free-ranging with the flock tomorrow. Or maybe not. I take it day-by-day.
Hello and welcome to our little group. :) Do you only have just the nine in your flock? Once they get a routine down they will do just fine. Shaking a food dish is another good way to get them all to come running your way.

Back
Top Bottom