How is your flock today?

This is all "thinking ahead to next spring" stuff, and who knows what might happen by then? :idunno

I still have to get through integration with my 8 w/o chicks. The low hen on the pecking order is still trying to get them through the fence. 2x3 welded wire; she can get her head through about 3 inches. If they chicks are within range, she'll get some feathers.

We're working on a run extension that will *hopefully* make this process easier. Work has been delayed by various unforeseen circumstances. They have over 12 sf per bird right now, and the addition will give more room to add some clutter and hiding spots for when the fence comes down.

This is all "thinking ahead to next spring" stuff, and who knows what might happen by then? :idunno

I still have to get through integration with my 8 w/o chicks. The low hen on the pecking order is still trying to get them through the fence. 2x3 welded wire; she can get her head through about 3 inches. If they chicks are within range, she'll get some feathers.

We're working on a run extension that will *hopefully* make this process easier. Work has been delayed by various unforeseen circumstances. They have over 12 sf per bird right now, and the addition will give more room to add some clutter and hiding spots for when the fence comes down.
The adult's should start molting soon, if they haven't started already. That will shake thing's up a bit too.

Good thing I got chicks in June. I keep reading the brooding/hatching stories on here, and I'd have a BAD case of chick fever if I didn't have some of my own.

Maybe next year I'll have a broody, and can join in the hatching fun. Hmmmm... my neighbor really wants a cockerel, and she has a big enough flock for two, possibly...
You gotta have a plan for all the little cockerels you hatch! :lau

I'm sure it will! Any advice on what I can expect? Both interactions among the adults (3 hens and a roo) and between the adults and the 3 chicks? First time on all of this for me.
If your young girls are about ready to lay the rooster will protect them from his jealous old girlfriends. He will want to breed the new girls, and his will be molting, not laying. My rooster would get between the hens that were pecking each other and stop that. Now, without him, they are squabbling about who is top hen. :tongue

Back
Top Bottom