How long are vaccinations good for?

StonyCreekFarm

Chirping
Dec 4, 2018
West Virginia
Hi!!

When I ordered my babies from Cackle Hatchery, I got them vaccinated. How long does this Marek's vaccine last?

Chickens are now 25 weeks old and healthy! I'm just wondering.

Chicks only need to be vaccinated at hatch for Marek's. The vaccine is however not 100% effective, but that is not to say re-administering it is worthwhile. Did you get them vaccinated because you have experienced Marek's on your property or just taking precautions to prevent it? That can make a difference to the vaccine's efficacy.
I hope your chickens continue to stay healthy and lay you lots of lovely eggs. Have they started laying yet?..... they must be getting close!

This is my first flock! We bought a farm that had chickens on it previously, so I wasn't sure what is going on with the soil and etc here. We bought a new coop because the old one was pretty gross from years of it not being cleaned and maintained properly. I feel like I can never be too careful when it comes to our animals!

I actually just got my first two eggs yesterday and one again today! Very exciting!!

Congrats on the eggs. First eggs are so amazing aren't they? I am just waiting for this summer's 3 pullets to start and it surely has to be any day now!
I would probably dismantle and burn the old coop if you haven't already. If the chickens have access to it, they could and probably will go scratching around in there and disturb potentially infected material. Marek's virus can survive in such locations without a host for quite some time, so best to destroy it.

So exciting! I screamed and did a happy dance and caused the whole flock of take off in their chicken butt sprint. :lau

Tear down is definitely on the spring time to do list. It's currently attached to another building that might cause come issues when it comes to demo time. The previous owners of this farm were dummies, I'm pretty sure. I have sealed it all off so they can't get in it. Did find a dead Racoon in there not too long ago. :idunnoHoles in the flooring is my guess?

Back
Top Bottom