How long should I wait until giving up on my eggs?

Mylanvy

Hatching
Apr 25, 2017
My female silkie chicken has been sitting on fertilized sebright eggs, because we do not have a rooster. On day 21, two of the eggs hatched. It is now day 23 and the last five eggs have not shown any sign of cracking and we have not heard any pips or chirps from the eggs. We have carefully checked under a flashlight to see if anything was in them, and the egg is completely dark, so there is a chick in there. We don't know how much longer we should wait before taking the eggs away. Should we take action, or should we just wait it out?

My female silkie chicken has been sitting on fertilized sebright eggs, because we do not have a rooster. On day 21, two of the eggs hatched. It is now day 23 and the last five eggs have not shown any sign of cracking and we have not heard any pips or chirps from the eggs. We have carefully checked under a flashlight to see if anything was in them, and the egg is completely dark, so there is a chick in there. We don't know how much longer we should wait before taking the eggs away. Should we take action, or should we just wait it out?

Were ALL the eggs put under her at the exact same time? All my Many broodies hatch their eggs completely by late day 21. Does she still have the chicks with her?

Were ALL the eggs put under her at the exact same time? All my Many broodies hatch their eggs completely by late day 21. Does she still have the chicks with her?

All eggs were put under her at the same time, and yes, the chicks are still with her. We're actually debating on whether or not we should take the chicks out and put them under a heat lamp because we're concerned that she is not leading them to the food and helping them eat. This is not our first time dealing with chicks, but it is our first hatching, if that makes any sense.

All eggs were put under her at the same time, and yes, the chicks are still with her. We're actually debating on whether or not we should take the chicks out and put them under a heat lamp because we're concerned that she is not leading them to the food and helping them eat. This is not our first time dealing with chicks, but it is our first hatching, if that makes any sense.

It does make since. You can look up water testing if you want---as late as it is I would feel they are not going to hatch, but you can test them. Something probably happened that caused them to die. Some hens will jump off the nest with the first couple that hatch and stay off the eggs to long causing them to die before she gets back on---I do not know what happened, but day 23 under a broody is real late.

Before the chick hatches, it absorbs the yolk of the egg which gives it enough nutrition for about 3 days. (That's how a newly hatched chick can spend 2-3 days in transit through the postal system). I would say if there are no signs of life, take the eggs. They usually all will hatch within 24 hours of the first one.

I would take the eggs and make a hole into the air cell. By two days late, they are most likely dead for some reason, however if they are still alive you can put them under a lamp or something for heat and help them to hatch out -being careful of blood vessels and yolk, of course.
I have a hen that never pipped or anything when she was in the egg, she was malpositioned and would have suffocated if I hadn't opened the egg to see what was wrong and then freed her beak -and eventually the rest of her. Two days extra is a long time to spend stuck in an egg and low on oxygen, though.

Holy...;)

I hope you never did anything yet....?.....Not all Chicks hatch on day 21...;)...A Hen will usually stay put for up to 48 hours after the first ones Hatch..:).....Place the feed and water real close to her nest....She may abandon the nest though to care for the Chicks..They go from Broody Hen to Momma Hen in about 48 hours..:)......

Best wishes..:)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom