How long will a bathtub brooder last 6 standard chicks?

floral_chickadee

Chirping
Mar 15, 2021
North Carolina
I’ve ordered 6 new chicks (technically one is a bantam), and I’m planning on using my extra bathtub as a brooder. I’m currently buying things and getting everything set up so I don’t have a picture of it but I’ve got a while til they will arrive (they hatch April 12th and will be here soon after that) so I’m taking that time to ask my burning questions.

So, on to my question, how long will a bathtub be a suitable brooder for my, to-be, day-old chicks?

I Stil have my chicks in the bathtub in a brooder (the pic was a week or so ago) they are now 2 and a half weeks. I’ll probably move them to something bigger in a few days. I have 7 chicks. Hope this helps!
75447C9E-CA50-44D4-8FD0-D066A5A52A46.jpeg

I Stil have my chicks in the bathtub in a brooder (the pic was a week or so ago) they are now 2 and a half weeks. I’ll probably move them to something bigger in a few days. I have 7 chicks. Hope this helps! View attachment 2582821
That's a good setup, I'm glad you used plastic bin in the tub. Don't ever let there bedding / poop go down the drain. Your gonna get clogged issues which can be expensive.

I’ve ordered 6 new chicks (technically one is a bantam), and I’m planning on using my extra bathtub as a brooder. I’m currently buying things and getting everything set up so I don’t have a picture of it but I’ve got a while til they will arrive (they hatch April 12th and will be here soon after that) so I’m taking that time to ask my burning questions.

So, on to my question, how long will a bathtub be a suitable brooder for my, to-be, day-old chicks?
Technically 8 weeks is max, only because of the size of the tub and container that goes in the tub.

I Stil have my chicks in the bathtub in a brooder (the pic was a week or so ago) they are now 2 and a half weeks. I’ll probably move them to something bigger in a few days. I have 7 chicks. Hope this helps! View attachment 2582821
Great idea but I hope nobody turns on the water! Lol
The light should be off to one side so they can get away from the bulb when they get overheated.

I had my first group of chicks in the bathtub for 5 weeks - they were pretty stir crazy by that point so I feel that's about as long as I'd keep them in there.

The tub did clean out easily, as I lined it with paper towels with bedding on top, so just lift and toss. However the greasy dander reached an impressive 6' up the wall and all the way across to the sink on the other side. :(

how long will a bathtub be a suitable brooder for my, to-be, day-old chicks?
You can measure it and figure how many square feet there are.

I've seen the following numbers:
1 square foot per chick to 4 weeks of age,
2 square feet per chick to 8 weeks old,
4 square feet per chick from then on, including for adult chickens.

(Of course no simple guideline can be perfect for all circumstances, but at least it helps get a ballpark number.)

Back
Top Bottom