How much do your chickens love you?

jamie78

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
How do your chickens show they love you? I'm curious about how they bond with humans and if it's similar to other animals. I talk to mine in a certain tone of voice and they come running, hoping I have food. And they love being let into the garden, etc. Just curious...

Chicken mama to two RI hens, one Leghorn hen, and a rotten Silkie rooster
jumpy.gif

Come running/follow me around. It's funny walking around a barnyard with a bunch of chickens acting like 3-year human children hanging onto Mommy's skirt...

Acquired some Brabanters rather recently and they are among the most childish....seconded by the Jersey Giants. RIR, Australorps and Ameraucanas do it somewhat less. RIR and a couple Leghorn mixes are the best independent foragers.

I don't think my chickens love me at all:) They do come running when I call to put them up late afternoons. This is when I give them a little scratch for a treat. They are obviously very food motivated.

My chickens' stomachs love me. If I go outside with ANYTHING in my hands, they all come running. They follow me around until I finally convince them that whatever I have isn't edible, or if it is and I toss it out for them, they are very happy chickens. I do have a few who follow me around with or without food and a couple that even will jump up in my lap when I'm sitting on the swing reading. I have my two special chickens who think I'm mommy and they follow me whenever I'm in the back yard.

My chickens love the fact I let them free range, feed them, water them and give them treats - otherwise I think they don't care if I am around or not - if a monkey did those jobs it would be the same to them
smile.png

However I LOVE MY CHICKENS! And that is what matters to me.

My chickens will eat ANYTHING I am eating and will jump onto my lap to get at the food!! If I don't give it to them my roo wil give me the evil eye!!! They also like classical music and hate nicki minaj's songs!!!

Whenever I go to the backyard gate I am greeted by a flock of excited chickens to see me.
Then as I enter the backyard they follow me where ever I go. If I have scratch or something in
my hands I pretty much have to drop it at the gate or I will be block on all sides by chickens
who cannot wait to get into what I have for them.
droolin.gif

When taking care of the chicken chores I have all kids of help by chickens watching me or getting right in the middle
of what I am doing.
ya.gif

In any case, no matter what I am doing they are always glad to see me. I love my chickens.
love.gif

I have 13 BO hens and 1 BO roo. They act like little puppies, it is just so cute, I love the fact that I am their world.
smile.png

Here is a pic of my babies running toward me as I come into the backyard.
60013_dscf4814.jpg

They don't. I'm the one that feeds um, gives what treats they get, let them out in the morning and puts them up at night. I'm the one they know. So to them it ain't love. It's food and who provides it. Chickens aren't capable expressing human emotions.

Last edited:
Yep. Mine love food and they know I give it so they have their eye on me just about all the time, cause you never know when I might pop out a whole roast chicken or something (NOT).

Back
Top Bottom