HOw much for permits in your city? $50 here, seems high to me?

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
We have some weird ordinances here. From what I can read, a person is allowed either 2 or 3 hens in our city WITHOUT a permit.

It costs $50 here, IF you want more chickens. You can have up to 20, but the pen needs to be inspected by animal control to make sure 1) you have it built at least 10 ft from neighbors property line, 2) its atleast 50 feet from their actual housing, and 3) that they have at least 3 sq per bird.

Now...this doesnt apply to chicks, you are allowed to keep them up to 3 months before you need to call them, and it doesnt apply to any poultry you keep inside. Thats what I have been able to deduce with much reading and also a few phone calls, altho they didnt know the rules much themselves. lol

Anyone else having to have permits...how much does your city charge. I think $50 seems a bit high and that is EVERY year u need to get. whew!!

Just would love to hear everone else's permit cost if you know.

Thanks
Jill

I think building permits cost 25, no permit for animals county dog tags are 12 I think more if not fixed. I built a 16x32 barn, my coop, and couple sheds and never got one. I just built them to code (or better) in case anyone ever noticed barn has been up for 14 years and no one has noticed. If someone asks it was here when we bought the place.

No permits here that I know of.
There are restrictions and limits but no fee's or inspections.

none that i know of...
i think we can keep up to 30 birds but that is in the city limits of houston with no HOA our HOA says no exotic animals (includes lizards, TIGERS!! lol, turtles, anything exotic...)
and chickens (livestock basicly)
but the people that live in my house before me had a horse....i guess before HOA was established.
if you do have any of these things you can get foreclosed on by the HOA.
that is a risk i am willing to take which is kinda stupid but i guess i could get chickens allowed in my neighborhood.

the reason why they can foreclose on you (some know i guess...)
is because houston has no zoning (which has its pros and cons)
sorry if im typing too much..
it is because im board...

Last edited:
Nothing for chickens that I know of here in my town. I do have to have permits for the horses $3.00 per horse per year up to three horses. More than that and then it falls under a different bracket and I don't remember what it is. A barn inspection is supposed to go with that but I think I saw them once in all the years I have held it.
It's the darn farm policy homeowners insurance that is insane as is all insurance here.

I'm doing the sneaky thing. I know I'm allowed up to 4 hens, no roo. But I think the chicken house is in a spot that might be questionable with regard to how many feet away from neighbors etc. But I don't think my neighbors have any idea that I have them!
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom