How much to charge for young hens

I've been researching/purchasing recently and they are $5-$10 in the midwest. I would suggest going on craigslist in your area, "Farm & garden" and type in chickens. It will give you an idea what others are charging in your area for variety of different breeds.

Thanks for all the nice replys and input..this lady is selling her old hens for $3 each..for butchering..won't be showing any if she gets mine..just a nice farm lady I work with at farmers market..we've become friends..and I don't want to "take" her on this..yet I do have alot into these "girls" of mine and they look good and are healthy..they are 5 months old..and I expect them to start laying any day now.. Hubby thinks $10 is not out of line..they are RIR, SLW, black sex link, Golden Buffs, and Production Reds..I feel a good mix..I'll jusst grab and put in cage one night..thinking of selling 12 of them..am I to off on this?? hope not..if she won't pay that,,I may put them on Craigslist,,
Thanks again...have a great Sunday!! Judi

I paid $8 for older pullets and $3 for 4wk old pullets. I say "older pullets" because they had all their feathers, but weren't (still aren't) laying yet.

Ian

It seems the price varies greatly depending on the area you live in. Point of Lay pullets in my neck of the woods fetch $15-$20 each.

I agree with your husband that $10 each is not out of line. I'd suggest you tell her that as a price, and maybe willing to lower slightly if she is buying all 12(or 15) for the convenience of having them all go at once. Just remember each chicken is "costing" you approx 1 1/2 lb of feed a week, the sooner they are gone they sooner your feed costs will be reduced.

Where i live, anything from $5-$15 is reasonable :]

just keep in mind some people don't want to pay to much for mixes (especially if the are showing their birds).
But if they are good layers then i think that makes them worth more then an average "mutt".
So i'd say $6-$10

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom