How Old is Too Old to Train a Chicken?

Samaria M

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2020
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first few chicks soon, but I would like to train them (e.g., to respond to their names, to learn the word for "Treats," to be as friendly as possible with humans, etc.). I know it's best to start from the time they are only a couple days old, but I would like to only keep pullets. I believe to be sexed by the time I get them, they'd need to be a bit older (I'm looking to start with a few silkies).

So, if I get chicks around ~6-8 weeks old, is this too old to train them? How old would you recommend I get them to be able to do this? Looking for advice as a new chick parent!

Thanks!

Mine have no trouble learning starting as pullets. All it takes is consistency and repeating on a regular schedule. Mine take treats from my hand by name and will jump for them as well. GO GO GO in a sharp pitch sends them into the coop.

Some breeds can be sexed as chicks. If those breeds don’t appeal to you find a nearby hatchery that offers grow out service with gender guarantees. I usually get my new birds raised until the are fully feathered enough to be outside in the unheated coop. That’s usually about 5 weeks old. My local breeder (I’m very lucky he is so nearby) will take back an accidental male and replace it with a female if they are this age or are the breed of chicks that can be sexed at hatch. Some of my birds, a very mixed flock of breeds, are stand-offish. Almost all of them will eat from my hand. A few will let me pet them and even pick them up. So far the easiest for petting and picking up have been the Marans. Buff Orpington have been a close second. There are breeds I would like to add to my flock that I read are very friendly. I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions here. Where are you located? Environment will play a large part of what breeds are advisable. Will you need cold hardy birds like the northern states or Canada or birds that can tolerate extreme heat like in Texas?

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first few chicks soon, but I would like to train them (e.g., to respond to their names, to learn the word for "Treats," to be as friendly as possible with humans, etc.). I know it's best to start from the time they are only a couple days old, but I would like to only keep pullets. I believe to be sexed by the time I get them, they'd need to be a bit older (I'm looking to start with a few silkies).

So, if I get chicks around ~6-8 weeks old, is this too old to train them? How old would you recommend I get them to be able to do this? Looking for advice as a new chick parent!

Thanks!
So, You're planning to teach the chicks like a dog? I dunno if its possible. but hey!! I dunno you capabilities as well.. so maybe it's possible for you.. good luck.. 👌👌👌

Chickens do respond to simple things. I call “chooook choockchookchook” and they all come running for the treat they know I will have. It’s good to teach them this in case you ever need to gather them inside quickly for safety or whatever other reasons.

They'll train. I started teaching mine "here chickie chickie chickie" for treats when they were already something like 8 weeks old. Now the younger ones follow the older's example and learn it as well. Thus, I don't actually need to spend any extra time to teach the younger ones anymore.

I don’t really think age is the critical factor in training, what’s important is the willingness of the individual bird. My most obedient and handleable bird, ironically, is my head rooster Hero. I bought him when he was 4 months old. He has had occasional fits of minor aggression, but his recent illness cured him of it, God willing for good! As I nursed him back to health, he learned to let me pick him up, to sit comfortably on my hand, arm, lap, or (less comfortably) shoulder, to take treats readily from my hand, to respond vocally to his name, to take medicine, and to allow a promising amount of light handling for medical checks. I am so proud of him!! He even lets me kiss his comb and wattles, and apparently has really begun to enjoy being “tucked in” at night (especially if I sing his favorite lullaby:oops:) All of my chickens are reasonably handleable, any can be picked up if you can catch them and handled with minimal risk of injury. They were various ages when purchased, anywhere from 1 day to 1 year old. I am consistent, caring, confident, and trustworthy, and they adore me. Chickens value consistency above all, so regardless of age be kind, confident, and trustworthy, and they will be too!:thumbsup

Trainable for simple things: sure. Age a factor: not really.

Some points: chickens are prey animals and it is hard wired for them to act accordingly. Many chicken keepers are dismayed at the young chicken acting scared, even when the keeper is familiar to them. However, once a pullet starts to lay eggs they generally will get much more relaxed and friendly, particularly since they will be familiar with you.

handle them every day and they will be less afraid of you. Don’t overuse treats when they are chicks ... they need that proper nutrition to grow, as tempting and fun as it is To give treats. It takes them a very short time to understand the sound/word you make to the resulting treats, even adult birds are trainable to treats.

They have individual personalities and level of smarts. Some may never be very friendly. We have an “introverted” hen...always has been aloof from the flock, yet is at least top 50% of the pecking order. We have a particularly dumb chicken...in comparison to the rest of the flock, or maybe it is just a very high flight/freak out response :idunno. We also have two laying pullets that are the most chill/ relaxed/calm birds that are so calm it’s surprising, but they had more flight/prey response as chicks (as compared to now). We have one pullet that is soooo curious and quite friendly... around 7 or 8 weeks of age she knew her name, and will come over to investigate when humans are doing something (like building run roof so not treats involved), and is ok with being picked up and petted. The rest of our flock have pretty standard chicken behavior, some a little more skittish/flighty than others, some less so.

hand-raised versus momma-hen raised: hand raised will be friendlier, less skittish of you as chicks. We have both in our flock and the momma hen raised ones are generally a bit less human friendly even when grown.

enjoy your new chicks!

There are breeds I would like to add to my flock that I read are very friendly. I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions here. Where are you located? Environment will play a large part of what breeds are advisable. Will you need cold hardy birds like the northern states or Canada or birds that can tolerate extreme heat like in Texas?

That's great to hear - I won't be getting the chicks immediately, so any advice on most appropriate breeds is welcome! I'm moving soon and will be getting them after I'm settled, but I'll be in the mid-East coast - Virginia area, so fairly mild I think (25ish at coldest, 90ish at hottest, but pretty muggy during the summer months). I'll be in a suburban area, so I'd ideally like friendly birds that don't need too, too much space to forage.

I don’t really think age is the critical factor in training, what’s important is the willingness of the individual bird. My most obedient and handleable bird, ironically, is my head rooster Hero. I bought him when he was 4 months old. He has had occasional fits of minor aggression, but his recent illness cured him of it, God willing for good! As I nursed him back to health, he learned to let me pick him up, to sit comfortably on my hand, arm, lap, or (less comfortably) shoulder, to take treats readily from my hand, to respond vocally to his name, to take medicine, and to allow a promising amount of light handling for medical checks. I am so proud of him!! He even lets me kiss his comb and wattles, and apparently has really begun to enjoy being “tucked in” at night (especially if I sing his favorite lullaby:oops:) All of my chickens are reasonably handleable, any can be picked up if you can catch them and handled with minimal risk of injury. They were various ages when purchased, anywhere from 1 day to 1 year old. I am consistent, caring, confident, and trustworthy, and they adore me. Chickens value consistency above all, so regardless of age be kind, confident, and trustworthy, and they will be too!:thumbsup

That's so sweet about your Hero! :) Seems consistency and kindness is a common theme in these responses, more so than the chickens' ages, so that's great to hear!

Back
Top Bottom