How Should I House 100 Roosters!

Pics
I read most of the previous comments. You've got some good advise already.

Not being meat birds, does reduce the yield but not the flavor. Just like with pigs, the younger the age at processing, the more tender the meat will be.

As far as shipping pros and cons. Their will be fatality. That is the nature of the beast. Also so just as if you ordered a pullet run, their is a slight chance of having a slight percentage of sexing error. Which is not a bad thing I suppose.

The noise is going to be epic. I know first hand from experiencing heavy rooster population. Having one Cockerel is a cake walk on a noise scale. Having numerous will be almost non stop communication between the gentlemen. It will start off with one boy crowing and continue in a complete circle and create a viscous cycle.
Last season when we did a mass liquidation, there was an awkward silence just after shipping them out. Sounds around you after they are all gone, that you didn't know existed will suddenly sound off. Like the wind in the trees, The turning of a door knob. Your ears will be like a deaf person, hearing things for the first time. It will be magical.

Build you a slaughter hut. Use 2x4's and window screen. You have to control flies. Having a tenth of a thousand birds is going to already have the flies waiting to taste your yield, and lay their larva on it.
Plan on what to do with the unusable portions of the birds. You will have 200 footsies/100 heads and so on. That is fly attractant.
My hubby uses an upside down traffic cone to drain into a bucket. Remember, prepare for your processing.
Man, it's going to take some elbow grease to get that job done.

Start searching for alternative feed sources such as brewers barley and other high protein feed. 100 birds for processing will need to be free will fed. Not twice a day like egg layers. Got to get em big before they age too much.

Try to keep this thread going with your progress, or start another within the Meat Birds ETC forum.
Very interesting project you have going on and it would be very educational to many whom have similar desires.
INTERESTING THREAD.jpg
GOOD LUCK FARMER CONNIE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom