How to make my chicken stop laying egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refrigerating fertile eggs is fine as some have said the trick is temperature; store them at 50-55deg. and no more than 30 days. I have never needed to go that long due to daily quantity.

on the contrary, refrigerating fertilized egg right after they are laid increases the hatch rate of the egg once it is incubated. we refrigerate fertlized eggs when they are laid and collect them for up to 10 days before.
How many days will it take before the sperm and egg of a fertilized egg is dead (Assume the egg is stored in an ideal environment to prolong the life of a chicken's sperm and egg in a fertilized egg)?

Last edited:
i read somewhere that its 10,...and then the breeder who supplies me with fertilized eggs confirmed it because he doesnt send eggs to hatcheries when they are more than 10 days already....but I have to say that maybe 12 is still good since most of the native chickens we have in the philippines would starting brooding when they already have 12 eggs, and sometimes they all hatch :D

Trust me, you aren't killing anything or being inhumane by eating fertile eggs. If your hen isn't incubating them, that means that she doesn't want to incubate them, and therefore you are not eating eggs "that she wants to incubate." Would it really be more humane for you to find a method for your hen to stop laying eggs (which might be detrimental to her health), and just let the eggs and sperm stay inside of your chickens and eventually be expelled and therefore wasted, or would it be better for you to allow your hen to do what she does naturally: lay eggs, and have nutritious, delicious, and humanely grown eggs for you, your friends and your family? Do you eat eggs? If so, does it make you feel more comfortable to eat eggs that are bought from stores and laid by battery hens?

Most interesting, thanks. :)
My chicken lays an egg every two days before and on she stops laying egg on the 19th egg, and then get broody two days later. Unfortunately she ate 3 of her eggs, destroyed one(embryo death at early stage) and 3 didn't hatch(I didn't crack the egg to check it). So, my chicken's fertilized egg can at least develop into embryo stage if the incubation starts up to 26 days after it was laid or up to 32 days if assuming the 3 eggs that didn't hatch contains dead embryo.

Last edited:
Trust me, you aren't killing anything or being inhumane by eating fertile eggs. If your hen isn't incubating them, that means that she doesn't want to incubate them, and therefore you are not eating eggs "that she wants to incubate." Would it really be more humane for you to find a method for your hen to stop laying eggs (which might be detrimental to her health), and just let the eggs and sperm stay inside of your chickens and eventually be expelled and therefore wasted, or would it be better for you to allow your hen to do what she does naturally: lay eggs, and have nutritious, delicious, and humanely grown eggs for you, your friends and your family? Do you eat eggs? If so, does it make you feel more comfortable to eat eggs that are bought from stores and laid by battery hens?

I still don't like the idea of killing anything alive if it is avoidable and has a chance to develop into something more complex, even if it is just a chicken's sperm and egg. If it is possible, I want to know way to make it stop laying eggs without any detrimental effects to my chickens. It is true that sperm and egg does die naturally. So, some might think that it is a waste if it is not use for reproduction. However, is it right to make a human male who reach puberty(9-14 years old) to make love to many human female, so that none of his sperm will get wasted(one female is not enough, since the sperm will die before she can be pregnant again)? IMO, sometimes, something should die, since it is the right choice to make, but sometimes it shouldn't die. I don't like the idea of killing an alive chicken's sperm and egg when in fact it has a chance to develop into something that can be a good pet. Also it is true that she is laying eggs that she doesn't want to incubate. However, I know some of my chicken's get broody(in fact they are laying eggs that they want to incubate), so I will save those eggs and let them incubate her eggs along with their eggs. Unfortunately, I don't have enough broody hens at the moment that can incubate all of her fertilized egg, so I want her to stop laying eggs, since I would consider it a waste to throw them away if they are too old.

I intend to have chickens as my pet. It seems to me that my hens only lay egg if they make love with my roosters. Injecting them with something to make them lay egg is not my option. I did eat an egg, that is laid by a battery hen. Sometime in the past, I contemplate whether I should eat those eggs again or not, since those chickens are treated inhumanely, just for the sake of having more profit. I support the idea of "Don't support their business if their method of gaining something or doing something in their business is immoral". Using chickens as a food source(whether killing them or eating their eggs for food), is not the reason why I wanted to keep my chickens.

Last edited:
Luckybaby, that helps confirm my reading.
thumbsup.gif

It's good to know you don't like killing and from what I've read none here do including me but often dying helps the living (food). Regrettably even the most humane of us have oopsed a butcher.
he.gif
On that note; many farmers out there sell directly to the consumer and can provide a healthier alternative to store bought foods. Best in your adventures and pets.
jumpy.gif

If you want birds as pets that do not lay eggs as frequently as chickens do, why not get a type of parrot? Then you wouldn't have to figure out what to do with the eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom