Guide How to start a new thread

This is an image I created a couple of days after the new BYC format was introduced. Whilst I've included it in New Member Introductions posts, I'm not sure how useful to new members it has been. Any feedback from new members that have used it would be appreciated, so that I can modify / improve it. Thanks.

View attachment 1042017
Thanks!

Thanks for the lead, I'm sure I've seen this before, but it has been a while since I posted. It's like, rembering all my passwords! I wanted to make a new post to ask something that I looked for in searches but did not find. As a relatively new member, it took me some time to finally get this info to post. I almost gave up. I used the search button to find out how to place a new post and I guess it takes just the right wording to get there. I wonder if perhaps a tab on the header might work better? Unfortunately I don't spend my days and nights here so I don't get regular use which leads to lack of familiarity.

I'm quite sure that it will be very helpful. The challenge is getting feedback from the end-user. Sadly, the end-users being new members tends to mean that their lack of familiarity with the site (and wanting to explore / ask questions) detracts from receiving feedback - that goes for both our "guides".

Let's hope that between my short and sweet version, and your detailed version, they both help new members to post in the forums likely to attract the optimum responses.
The issue I can see though is that if you are sending this to people in the New Member area.... they have already found the new member intro area and typically started a thread, so sending them a link on how to start a thread may be less than helpful in that case.

It would be really nice if BYC had a tutorial when you sign up on how to start your first thread and basic forum rules and manners. I know some sites I have gone to automatically set a splash screen as your "home" when you log in or go to the site that has helpful tips, tutorials, links and that stays as long or as many logins as you would like it to, it also has a link to take you to where you can set that to no longer come up once you are comfortable. I know when I join a site that behaves like that, I leave it up for a few weeks or until I am comfortable doing most of the things explained on that page, and then I remove it.

It would be really nice if BYC had a tutorial when you sign up on how to start your first thread and basic forum rules and manners.
Pretty sure we have this in many locations through the signup process, including links to videos, direct links to how / where to post, etc. in the welcome email, welcome private message, notice at the top of the page for new members, etc.

Give it a test by signing up with a new account and let us know what you think.

Pretty sure we have this in many locations through the signup process, including links to videos, direct links to how / where to post, etc. in the welcome email, welcome private message, notice at the top of the page for new members, etc.

Give it a test by signing up with a new account and let us know what you think.
I may do that and you are probably right, it's been a few days since I joined... lol I may not be remembering correctly or things may have been added.

Back
Top Bottom