Jul 19, 2021
Hiya,

I'm currently looking for suggestions on how to tame my White Peahen (Hera) and my India blue Peacock (Hercules).
They were both semi-tame when I let them loose to roam our farm, where I could pet them, but now they've become quite distant and reluctant for me to pet or hold.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tame them more? They're quite hard to catch. I can come in a 5 foot radius of them before they get uncomfortable.

Also looking for ways to tame/imprint on peachicks, as I'm hoping to hatch some soon!
Thank you for any input!

~White Valley Acres

Be sure to imprint a hen and not a cock or he could get possessive during the breeding season. Getting flogged by your favorite guy is not fun. There is a big difference between tame and imprinted, I have many tame peas in both sexes most of my imprinted birds are hens.
IMG_5026.JPG

Be sure to imprint a hen and not a cock or he could get possessive during the breeding season. Getting flogged by your favorite guy is not fun. There is a big difference between tame and imprinted, I have many tame peas in both sexes most of my imprinted birds are hens.View attachment 2962019
Thank you for the tips! Hera is a lot more tame then Hercules as it seems, but I need to work with them a bit more. Recently they've been coming to our front door though, so I wonder if that's a good sign at all...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 30
That's really sweet! Your peafowl are so gorgeous! Hopefully I can try and get them comfortable with me again. This morning my mother and I tried to feed them some apple pieces, at first they just left, but once I left they went back and picked them up. Slowly but surely I think I'll be able to get them comfortable enough with me so that I can watch them eat their treats... haha

Honestly I don't recommend trying to tame peas. It might be cute to have tame birds but I know alot of people who have had birds stolen because they were to tame and didn't run away from strangers.

Be sure to imprint a hen and not a cock or he could get possessive during the breeding season. Getting flogged by your favorite guy is not fun. There is a big difference between tame and imprinted, I have many tame peas in both sexes most of my imprinted birds are hens.View attachment 2962019
I must agree 100% on the imprinting comment. It is a very heartbreaking moment when you are violently attacked by your little buddy.
Mine is ONLY still alive because I do love him. The young family I acquired him from, (at 1 y.o.), raised him from a chick that was given to them. They had a 3 y.o. son that thought JoJo was a pet.. well, now at 3 y.o., JoJo is a PAIN. He will never be a pet... One of them, or all 3, imprinted on him and he is extremely aggressive to the point we don't walk out of our home without a defensive weapon. Not to hurt him, to keep him from hurting us. At first, I wanted to unalive him. My husband was JoJos saving grace. Now, I put up with him because I know it's not his fault, I am ever aware of his whereabouts, I could never allow anyone else this stress of owning him and I really don't want to unalive him anymore.
Please be very careful in wanting your peacock to be a "pet". It's dangerous, for you and anyone he comes in close range with... not to mention dangerous for him too. Not many people will allow your or MY OWN peacock to stalk and attack them without seriously hurting or killing him.
Please don't take my blunt comment as mean. I just want you or anyone to understand that a peacock can be a very dangerous, large, force to be reckoned with.
Not to mention, they are really not intelligent at all.
The more "showy" they are, the less intelligent they are.
JoJo loves me, he just wants to be the dominant being in MY yard and it's ain't happenin...
LoL.
I don't know who is less intelligent... me or JoJo..
I look like a fool trying to keep him off of me over and over every single day...
Hopefully afyer mating season, he will calm down. If not, we will still tolerate him and be on high alert as long as we are all together..
Just please, be careful with your peacock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom