Humidity and how much? For day 14 quail eggs!

RenegadeSkate3

Chirping
Jul 3, 2018
20A1E3C7-C1EA-48CD-A413-D36AE0827D63.jpeg
115E2305-1CC4-4841-A05B-3EF27B55E0AB.jpeg
DA630FA9-F3A9-4725-BCF1-3C1D2514A2C6.jpeg
I have 13 quail eggs that are all in great condition to hatch, I use a hovabator 1602n and I just recently filled up both tray areas for the humidity rise, since it is day 14, and it’s lockdown time, I’m just confused.... do I filll both compartments of the water tray full or halfway for both, I have it at full right now and the paper towels I placed down became humid, and wet almost... is r bad for eggs? Or should I change water level soon, please I need help fast, I don’t wanna screw up in day 14 so close to goal!

Humidity comes from the surface area of the water tray, not the depth. Filling the tray to the top will just mean it won’t empty as fast.
What humidity reading are you getting?
Most folks aim for 60-75% but a little higher is probably fine.

If that thermometer is accurate and I'm reading it right, it looks a little cool in there. It should be 99.5 and can be slightly lower at lockdown but definitely not 93. If incubation temps are too low, they take longer to hatch and come out with deformities etc.
Thank you , it was 93 since I had opened the incubator to arrange eggs from moist paper towels, it’s back up to 99.4

Paper towels are going to soak up moisture from below and from above. If it's available to you, I would change out the paper towels with rubber shelf liner (the kind with holes). I also use that in the brooder for the first couple of days to prevent them from splaying.

Wet paper towels might not be terrible for the eggs, but they won't be good for newly hatched chicks to dry off on.

By "all in great condition to hatch," do you mean that you candled all of them and removed any clears?

Back
Top Bottom