Hurt Chicken Can't walk...

Relynn

Songster
Apr 29, 2017
So, my hen pushes my pullets out every night when they go in before her, she does it like 2-3 times, well now they just sit outside until they are sure she is sleeping before they go in. However, one night Red was being particularly mean, and chased all the other chickens out of the coop after everyone including her had gone to bed.

One of my pullets was hurt in the process, and I am not sure what to do. She either hurt her leg or her hip, or maybe even her back... it seems to be mostly on her left leg, but she is walking like she is drunk. I had to bring her inside because the other chickens attacked her. She was trying to keep up with them even though she was hurt. She is in a lot of pain, and is constantly closing her eyes and is holding her head up with her mouth open.

I just don't know what to do .... Please help! Thanks!

Do what you are doing. Keep her quiet. Put vitamins and electrolytes in her water. Give her good mash feed with chopped eggs and yogurt.

Generally TLC.

You can give her asprin for pain and swelling.

I've linked an article below for general instruction, care, and dosage for injuries.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/04/how-to-care-for-injured-chicken-and.html

Hope your gal improves with some TLC and time.

It also may be time to remove the aggressive hen for a time out and reintroduce her when the others are a bit older.

LofMc

Thank you for the quick response, because of 4th of July, the Avian vet is out of town until Wednesday. I have made an appointment, but she is being kept in the house for the time being. I take her out to just sit while I sweep the backyard and watch her to keep her from moving, and keep her safe.

Back
Top Bottom