Hurt chicken

mcarroll616

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Mooresboro, North Carolina
So I went out to feed the chickens today, and I found this poor chicken. Shes acting normal but it doesn't look good. I have made our old rabbit hutch into a chicken hospital for her, but what else can I do? Help her :-(

It looks like something pulled out a bunch of her tail feathers. I would clean the wound and put Neosporin (without painkiller) on the wound, separate her in a dark quiet area, and keep looking after the wound until you can see some healing. You can spray the area with "blue kote" so that the other chickens won't peck her.

Okay, so I went out to put some stuff on it. It was hard, maybe like it was scabbed up already? That's good, right?

Plus, She kinda smells bad. Not like normal chicken bad but kinda funny bad smell. Any ideas?

I have never had a chicken hurt like that!

She was okay this morning, I didn't mess with her much except to feed her. How long could it take for her to start healing? Will re-introducing her to the flock be an issue? I worried about this all night!

The longer she is away from the others, the more difficult it will be to reintroduce her. You want to do it when you can be there to supervise though.
The chickens will peck at anything red, so make sure you cover it with blue-kote or something else to protect it.

This has happened to my hens before. Blue Kote works great. Ive usually cleaned the wounds and when its dry, sprayed with blue kote and put the hen back in the coop. As long as she is eating and drinking it should be fine. It does take quite a while for feathers to grow back..if ever. So you may have a bare bummed chicken for a while! It doesnt look to bad to me. Just keep you eye on her. Blue Kote also helps keep away flys/maggots.

I got some Blu-Kote and sprayed her last night and put her back in the coop. I tried to clean it but not super confident that it was dry. I have had chickens for just over a year and I don't think I am super comfortable with them yet! I went out and gave her a light spray again this morning when I gave them water and she seemed okay. Hopefully everything will be fine. My hands have blue spray on them and it doesn't come off easily! :)

Back
Top Bottom