I’m out of ideas. Please read.

Right now out of 8 layers only 3 are laying the leg horns and the production red. All are moving more slowly as am I.

I would keep her inside for now and check poo, crop and make sure she eats and drinks for sure before putting her back out. I think this year is silly hot, but I am sure I said that last year also. From what you have said there really is nothing more for the heat you can do. I keep litter pans of water close for them to stand in in the shade. I wanted to put in an A/c unit in the coop. DH said no :(
Lol I was gonna do the same thing with an a/c. It is crazy hot this year. I knew we were in trouble when it hit 100 in early May. I too say this every ye r but I think this year is different. The forecast is not very nice for the foreseeable future either.

I am not fond of the hot heat but I am not a winter person either.

But small comb birds are supposed to do better in cold weather and the big tall combs for hot weather. I look for that but still like the silkies so DH is fine with the one rooster inside for now but is redesigning a coop in his mind to get that crowing boy outside :)

I hope your hen is better in the morning. They are sometimes more resilient than I give them credit for. I try to keep that in mind whenever I am treating. The whole picture is often times your best starting point. She does appear healthy in the pictures nice comb color bright eyes shiny clean feathers. So unless it is internal I think you are doing all you can do for her tonight. She is lucky to have you.

In that last photo her back end looks very hunched which is usually an indication of them trying to lay a soft shelled/shell less egg which can be really hard on them or being egg bound which often prevents them from pooping solids and slows or stops the passage of waste through the digestive tract which backs up and causes slow crop. Have you given her a calcium supplement? If not I would try that.... a calcium injection might be better. It will help her muscles to contract as well as top up her shell gland. A warm Epsom Salts soak may also help her to relax and pass it if that is the problem. Is there any sign of her vent pulsing like she is straining? Have you done an internal exam for a stuck egg? ie gently inserted a lubricated gloved finger into her vent about an inch to feel for any obstruction. She may poop during or on removal of the offending finger so make sure to have her on an old towel or in a tote so you don't get covered :sick. She will probably feel better if she does manage to poop so it is worth trying that anyway and the lubricant and working your finger inside her may help to allow it to pass if that is her problem.

How is she this am?
Sorry for taking so long to update. Overslept this morning so that made work crazy. Her crop feels empty but little squishy. Her poop is a little different but she still has a bright comb and color. She looks a lot better than she did last night. I put her on the porch to get her to walk a little and I knew she’d at least drink there. The others were too curious so took her back in before she had a chance. I’m also changing out the bowls in the house to match the ones outside. That’s worked in the past. Here’s her poop from last night.
. C986F7BD-47FC-432E-A0D2-52FAD346A0E5.jpeg D2C7998D-FB07-4727-B647-97A5067EC94A.jpeg 0996209C-13A3-4231-94B7-D2CC86406FFF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom