I’ve read everything and still need help with ventilation

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

This is what you need to have happening -- airFLOW taking heat, moisture, and ammonia out at the top of the coop:

View attachment 3092536

Exactly how many square feet of opening are available in your open soffits, which need to be covered with hardware cloth like this (image from @aart):

coop-eaves-3-jpg.1353558

You should have at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen. If you get hot summers you will probably need more than that.

Draft-free doesn't mean no air moving. This is my brooder, which has 16 square feet of permanent ventilation and another 10 feet of supplemental ventilation -- completely draft free when the supplemental vent is closed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

cover-image
I live on Vancouver island in Canada.

It’s a rainforest. During the spring, we average 12 degrees Celsius and summer can get up to 30 degrees Celsius. Winter is usually around 0 degrees but last year was very cold with down to -10 degrees Celsius.

There’s a lot of rain in spring and fall but summer and winter are usually clear skies.

It is damp here because we are an island.

We sometimes get 4 or 5 days with snow.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

This is what you need to have happening -- airFLOW taking heat, moisture, and ammonia out at the top of the coop:

View attachment 3092536

Exactly how many square feet of opening are available in your open soffits, which need to be covered with hardware cloth like this (image from @aart):

coop-eaves-3-jpg.1353558

You should have at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen. If you get hot summers you will probably need more than that.

Draft-free doesn't mean no air moving. This is my brooder, which has 16 square feet of permanent ventilation and another 10 feet of supplemental ventilation -- completely draft free when the supplemental vent is closed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

cover-image
I can only keep 6 hens. There is definitely more than 6 feet of holes in the soffits all around the coop. But I think I should add gable vents up at the top as well.

So looks like keeping the rafters open with the hardware cloth barrier and adding another window across from the current one plus two gable vents.

Does that sound sufficient?
I think that sounds good. You said the windows will be propped open? That'll be good in hotter weather, to have windows across from each other and propped open for extra airflow. During cooler or windy/rainy/snowy spells, you can lower those to keep the elements out, and rely more on the soffit and gable vents.

The only sure way to test for drafts is to go into the coop during a typical windy day, with a light ribbon or string, and hold it at the roost location. If the ribbon doesn't move or only moves a little, that's fine - if it's fluttering a lot, that's a draft.

I can only keep 6 hens. There is definitely more than 6 feet of holes in the soffits all around the coop. But I think I should add gable vents up at the top as well.

So a mild, wet climate.

You'll want extra ventilation just to try to keep the moisture down.

If you can add vents in the gable peaks that would be a good location for them.

I think that sounds good. You said the windows will be propped open? That'll be good in hotter weather, to have windows across from each other and propped open for extra airflow. During cooler or windy/rainy/snowy spells, you can lower those to keep the elements out, and rely more on the soffit and gable vents.

The only sure way to test for drafts is to go into the coop during a typical windy day, with a light ribbon or string, and hold it at the roost location. If the ribbon doesn't move or only moves a little, that's fine - if it's fluttering a lot, that's a draft.
Oh this is a great test. Thank you! I’ve been panicking over what a draft is in there lol . This gives me some relief!

A draft is a breeze strong enough to ruffle the chickens' feathers when they're sitting on their roost.
Yup, and that's what the ribbon represents. In hot weather it can actually be desirable to have more noticeable air flow, but in cold weather the ruffling of feathers will cause them to lose body heat, which is why drafts are a concern.

Yup, and that's what the ribbon represents. In hot weather it can actually be desirable to have more noticeable air flow, but in cold weather the ruffling of feathers will cause them to lose body heat, which is why drafts are a concern.

Yes, your ribbon test is an excellent, practical way of seeing the air movement.

I will note again though, if the air movement is up over the birds' heads then it's fine.

I think that is part of what confuses new people -- that the only part of the coop that really NEEDS draft protection is the roosting area.

Back
Top Bottom