I accidently killed my roosteršŸ˜„

Sorry for your loss. It is hard to know if he was getting worse, or perhaps was stressed out or had a heart attack. Chickens can choke if their crops are squeezed accidentally as well. You were trying to help him, so do not beat yourself up. I usually recommend giving a few drops or 1/2 ml of liquid medicine at a time, then letting them swallow, and then giving more.

I agree with @LaFleche. You were doing an amazing job with him! You obviously loved him so much to take him to the vet, and pay for antibiotics. Most chicken owners wouldn't even consider taking a chicken to the vet. Don't beat yourself up, I have been there as well. You try everything, and then you either feel like you didn't do enough, or you did something wrong. The important thing is, that you were doing more then everything, and you cared so much for him! There is also a handful of other things it could be, its not you fault. Don't beat yourself up, you will only save more chickens in the future because of him! So sorry for you loss! :hugs

I'm so sorry! Maybe his sickness worsened? I know that my birds HATE getting meds via syringe so the stress of that added with an already unwell bird could certainly do that. I thought aspirating would take a bit longer to kill them, but I guess that would depend on how much they aspirated.

Please note that I'm not questioning you, only offering another way to think about it.

Last edited:
I accidentally killed my beautiful Beebee Brahma hen today. I was attempting to treat her sour crop by gently massaging her crop upside down, with regular breaks, but she aspirated before I knew it and died so quickly! So so sad :(
She knew I was trying to help her, I know, but it feels a break of the trust she had in me. I feel for her sister still here.
I came here looking to find out if they suffer for long dying that way... It looked fast.
I found all your experiences, that are helping me with mine.

Perhaps it was a grace as she'd been sick for a while. It's still so hard when you love them though ehĀæ

I am so sorry for your loss. itā€™s tough when we lose them especially when we are trying everything to help.

Back
Top Bottom