I Am Looking For A Surgeon To Decrow My Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two roosters. Rescues are full and I refuse to take a chance of them becoming dinner. I chose to use the collars. They can still crow but it's not as loud. They tend to just crow when they hear the other roosters in the area,but it got loud fast. As long as you watch them, make sure they are eating, breathing normal, etc, the collars work. I know they are not super tight because they can still crow pretty well.

That sounds terribly cruel! I bet it would be the same amount of money, to get he surgery, as it would be just to build him an enclosure, made out of sound proof glass. The enclosure would eb much less risky, and probably the same cost.
PS. I have never heard of making and enclosure like this or making it myself, so I don't know if it works or not, just though of it on the spot! LOL! I hope everything works out for you!

I am going to try the collar, if that doesn’t work then my rooster will be decrowed. The only other option is a BB to the head. I was going to revoke them, but heard they may go to a person that just wants to feed them to snakes.

I get you wanting to keep him and have him live a good life, but it is a VERY VERY dangerous surgery, and honestly, he would probably be happier to have a BB in his head then go through a painful terrible surgery. DO NOT DO THIS TO HIM! Try to find him a new home in your area please listen to the advice on this forum, it all say the same thing, DONT!

I am going to try the collar, if that doesn’t work then my rooster will be decrowed. The only other option is a BB to the head. I was going to revoke them, but heard they may go to a person that just wants to feed them to snakes.
If you can’t have a rooster crowing then why do you have a rooster in the first place? Did you just realize they make a loud noise?

Umm..do you chicken folks realize how many roos are trying to be rehomed?
Exactly. I can’t tell you how many times people have asked if I want a rooster. My goal is homesteading so why would I want a bunch of roosters that I have to pay to feed with no reward? I already have a perfectly good, handsome rooster who is going to the stewpot because I have a hatch of chicks and yet another rooster as it is. There simply isn’t enough people willing to fork out money for freeloading roosters. It breaks my heart. I cry over my own rooster, and he isn’t even dead yet, but it’s the hard reality of owning chickens. Don’t think that by ordering pullets at a hatchery you’re saving the roosters. One way or another the vast majority will die, either via humane euthanasia or by ending up as a fry pan bargain. I personally wouldn’t make the choice to de-crow a rooster, but I also know what it’s like to love a chicken, and I know his odds aren’t too good with being rehomed. I can hardly blame OP for making that difficult choice.

Edited to add: I think many of us can all share our opinion and be a tad bit friendlier about it. Chicken keeping is hard. This person is truly seeking advice.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a rooster and I'm not supposed to either. Do you have a place inside the house that he can sleep? I let my roo and one of my hens sleep in the basement and they stay in there until like 10/11am so that he won't wake anyone up. If that's not an option than you could look for some petting zoo's in your area, if they can take him then you can visit him every once and a while. If you let them know that you will be coming to check on him then they have a VERY good reason not to kill him.

Seriously though guys. Chill out. I've been in this same position many times and it sucks. @philipl411 is just trying to find a solution where he won't have to wonder if his chicken is dead or not, if his chicken is being fed or not, if his chicken is being forced to fight other chickens or not. Maybe instead of calling him a horrible person you could offer alternative solutions. Gee wiz

Ok, I have a rooster and I'm not supposed to either. Do you have a place inside the house that he can sleep? I let my roo and one of my hens sleep in the basement and they stay in there until like 10/11am so that he won't wake anyone up. If that's not an option than you could look for some petting zoo's in your area, if they can take him then you can visit him every once and a while. If you let them know that you will be coming to check on him then they have a VERY good reason not to kill him.

Seriously though guys. Chill out. I've been in this same position many times and it sucks. @philipl411 is just trying to find a solution where he won't have to wonder if his chicken is dead or not, if his chicken is being fed or not, if his chicken is being forced to fight other chickens or not. Maybe instead of calling him a horrible person you could offer alternative solutions. Gee wiz
There’s certain kinds of chickens that were used for illegal fighting. You guys are regurgitating something you’ve been led to believe that isn’t true. The fact is nobody wants a reject layer rooster for fighting. Wondering about whether the rooster would be fed and properly cared for is legitimate though. The reality is the current trend of backyard chickens in suburban backyards has led to the deaths of far more roosters than before the trend. So...you guys can all pretend like you’re doing a great thing but in the end most roosters will end up dead. It’s a feel good measure without a lot of substance. If it helps everyone feel good about themselves so be it just know it’s not changing much.

I bet that it was an accident that she got one. She didn't get one on purpose. No need to be blaming people. I wouldn't recommend the surgery though. As much as I don't agree with Roosterhavoc I can't agree with this surgery.
Apparently you didn’t read what I wrote either. My comment was geared toward giving a bird away and fearing it being used for something illegal. That’s false. It would be far better if people didn’t post things as fact when in reality it’s just a hunch they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom