I am wondering what breed to get for white eggs

And Leghorns come in different colors too! FC230DFF-CB5D-4201-9898-4A50D7C53ADB.jpeg

With my experience, Leghorns!
:Large white eggs
:Heat & cold hardy
:Very sweet (in my experience at least lol)
Same. I have 50+ hens and am getting about a dozen a day. My leghorns have been laying right through the winter while others sit it out. They are also some of our sweetest, though I know that's not everyone's experience as some can be flighty. :)

I also suggest leghorns, I have 3 brown leghorns, they lay large white eggs.
But I also recommend Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, they lay white eggs too. I love this breed, they are quirky and friendly, medium size and very reliable layers. The eggs slightly smaller than leghorns. If you can find this breed, you might consider them. Where do you live?
tidbitting.jpg

Last edited:
I have a California White. She's given me an egg a day since she started laying in December and quickly moved from her initial Medium eggs to Large.

I wouldn't call her temperament "flighty" but she's active, curious, and mischievous. She can fly out of and back into the pen (48" electric net), any time she wants to and is almost always the first to investigate anything new or different that's going on.

She's not a cuddle-pet, but she squats for me and follows me around hoping for treats.

I also think that the white feathers with the black specks are attractive (though I was hoping for something more like dalmatian-spots).

0105211659.jpg

0120210857_HDR.jpg

What I would recommend depends on where you live (climate) and how you wwill house them.
If you are in a warm/hot climate, I'd recommend one of the Mediterranean breeds like Leghorn, Ancona, Minorca or I raise Penedesencas.
If a cold climate, my favorite is Jaerhon. Other choices would be Holland, Lakenvelder, La Fleche, Dorking, Crevecoeur.

The following breed selection charts will tell you all you need to make your decision.

Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart (sagehenfarmlodi.com)

chickenbreedcomparison.pdf (albc-usa.org)

Last edited:
I also suggest leghorns, I have 3 brown leghorns, they lay large white eggs.
But I also recommend Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, they lay white eggs too. I love this breed, they are quirky and friendly, medium size and very reliable layers. The eggs slightly smaller than leghorns. If you can find this breed, you might consider them. Where do you live?
View attachment 2506033
Beautiful Chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom