I can answer your predator proofing questions!

Okay so I know chicken wire is basically too fragile and coyotes can rip through it.. but is it also too big of holes? So do I need to reinforce it with something sturdy AND something finer?

Okay so I know chicken wire is basically too fragile and coyotes can rip through it.. but is it also too big of holes? So do I need to reinforce it with something sturdy AND something finer?
I know you're not asking me but yes and yes. Smaller predators such as weasels and mice can fit through chicken wire. Raccoons can reach through and tear a chicken apart. I would replace all of the chicken with hardware cloth. More of an upfront cost but worth it in the long run.

I know you're not asking me but yes and yes. Smaller predators such as weasels and mice can fit through chicken wire. Raccoons can reach through and tear a chicken apart. I would replace all of the chicken with hardware cloth. More of an upfront cost but worth it in the long run.
But do I also need to reinforce it with some type of dog or horse fence?

Like will a coyote just knock down hardware cloth as well?

But do I also need to reinforce it with some type of dog or horse fence?

Like will a coyote just knock down hardware cloth as well?
I dont think a coyote could knock it down but they will dig under. If you have coyotes I suggest either burying some hardware cloth or making an apron. Also, dont just attach it with staples. Some use screws and washers. I prefer sandwiching them ontop of the screws and washers.

A bear would knock it down though. But I think a bear could destroy many things

I dont think a coyote could knock it down but they will dig under. If you have coyotes I suggest either burying some hardware cloth or making an apron. Also, dont just attach it with staples. Some use screws and washers. I prefer sandwiching them ontop of the screws and washers.

A bear would knock it down though. But I think a bear could destroy many things
No bears, thankfully.

Related question: are predators worse in the winter? I assume they'd be more hungry?

Related question: are predators worse in the winter? I assume they'd be more hungry?
I would say they're worse in the winter. If they are able to get to your chickens then they know that's a food source for them. No matter the season, you want to make sure they cant get in. If they get in theyll co tinue to try and get your birds.

I would say they're worse in the winter. If they are able to get to your chickens then they know that's a food source for them. No matter the season, you want to make sure they cant get in. If they get in theyll co tinue to try and get your birds.
I have intermittent problems but usually manage to trap the offending possum (either they are killing chickens or are just routinely in the wrong place at the wrong time). I know one was eating eggs. I lost a couple recently to something that took their heads off inside the coop (one coop is chicken wire and the other is horse fence). My biggest coyote troubles are free range peahens on nests.

Back
Top Bottom