I can't seem to peel my hard boiled eggs - page 8 Solution!

My fresh eggs peel beautifully. Puncture just the shell of the fat end of the egg with a tack ( I found a diabetic's lancette is perfect). Then place gently in already boing water for 15 minutes. Drain and place in cold water for a few minutes. Perfect!!

This always works for me, store bought (which I do not have to do anymore) or fresh:

While you bring your water to a rolling boil, lay your eggs in a bowl with warmer than just warm water (point being not hot) to bring them to room temperature. Once your water is boiling (I use an AllClad saucepan -- don't know if the gauge of the pan matters) place your eggs in very carefully (I use a large serving spoon) reduce your fire slightly and cook for 11 minutes (so your yolks aren't tinged with green on the edges). Immediately plunge into an ice bath and the peels come right off.

Then I cut in half and drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Hands down -- nothing better!!

Hope this works for you,
Nancy

We will give this a try! Have been so frustrated loosing so much of the egg not much is left but yolk!

I have heard many different ways over the years on how to make fresh farm raised hard boiled eggs. Here is my way, it has always worked for me even with eggs that are a few hours old.
1. Take the fat end of the egg and use a thumb tac that has the plastic end you can get ahold of and poke a hole in the fat end of the egg. This will allow the boiling water to separate the egg from its shell. This happens naturally in the store with eggs that are a few weeks old, but fresh eggs don't have enough time for this to occur.
2. Bring your water to a boil. Use enough water to completely cover the eggs. After your water comes to a boil place your eggs that have been poked with the thumb tac into the boiling water easily. Set timer for 12 minutes.
3. Get a bowl of cold water with ice in it ready. There should be enough water to completely cover all the eggs.
4. After 12 minutes of boiling remove eggs and immediately place into ice water for 12 minutes. This will stop the cooking immediately.
5. Remove eggs, crack the end you poked with the thumb tac. Peel the egg under running water making sure to peel the inside membrane with the shell. That makes the shell come off in big pieces.
That's it. I know there are many ways and several of them work but this is how I do it and it has gone very well for me. ourFRUGELfarm.com

I boil my eggs with salt then when done I use a spoon to crack the egg and roll it under the spoon against the side of the pot making sure the entire shell cracks. Let it soak for until water is comfortable temperature and the water has soaked in under membrane. Easy Peasy.

Oh my word, I have used this salt method that many restaurants use on a regular basis. If you start by covering the bottom of the pan with cheap salt, like she says about 1/4 cup, add cold water, it works every time. I peel mine while still warm. only one or two once in a while don't peel easily. In restaurants they dump the hot water and shake them in the pan and shells fall off.

I just had the best "peeling of shells" ever! I combined everyone's ideas: several spoonfuls of salt (small pot for two eggs' experiment) plus a splash of white vinegar. Boiled the two eggs for about 6-7 minutes, ran the pot under cold tap water, cracked the shells, threw in some ice for a minute or two-- PEELED PERFECTLY! Woohooo! No more wasted, ugly, weird deviled eggs here!
The only odd thing: the brown top layer rubbed off! Was this the bloom? These eggs were washed after gathering them yesterday. I always thought the bloom was washed off very easily.

To get hard boiled eggs or soft boiled eggs to peel easier, poke a small hole on the top (narrow) portion of the egg prior to boiling. You can actually get a device to do this through Sur-la-table or in Europe...Google egg poker or egg piercer. I just use a push pin for a bulletin board and make a small hole. Works every time and nor salt required :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom