I found a baby bird

I would see if you can set the box on top of a heating pad set on low, probably with a folded towel or something to make a buffer to the heat. One problem is that a lot of heating pads have a safety shut off at a certain time, but that would likely still be longer than a bottle. What temperature is the room? Over 75 would be good but not too much hotter with a secondary heat source.
I don't know what temp the room is, I broke the thermometer I found (it was non-mercury and pretty cheap apparently). I think we have another around but I can't look for it now with others in the house asleep. Did feed the bird, but I couldn't get the timing right with it opening it's mouth and ended up just getting some on its beak which it did eat. Then it started the convulsing that I think is it swallowing and I didn't want to overwhelm it while it tired to swallow so I decided to not give it any more at the moment. Probably got about a drop of food in itself. I think I'll set my alarm for a couple hours from now, or maybe just one hour.

Well its still alive. I just tried to feed them but having missed when their mouth was open couldn't get much in them. I think they're sleeping now. May try again in 30 minutes

On the advice of the wildlife rescue, I fed baby birds dog food. Either canned or softened dry. They opened their mouths and I put it in. I fed them frequently during the day but I did not feed them at night. Neither do their parents. Occasionally I would find older birds that were all feathered out but could not yet fly. I picked them up and cared for them because they were vulnerable to any passing cat or other predator. Usually they could fly in two or three days at which time I released them.

You are doing a great job :thumbsup

How many drops is a half milliliter? I want to know for sure the maximum amount in ml so I can fill my syringe up that much.
20 drops is 1 ml, so 10 drops is 1/2 ml (I didn't know that and had to look it up).
Also it pooped again, does this one look normal and just squished or deformed?
It's ok, it is the food-change that makes it look so different. As long as it doesn't get watery it's ok.
MadamContrary has you covered about cleaning and about importance of enough warmth 👍

Yes the babies sleep at night and parents don't feed them at night. But because you didn't know when it was fed the last time by its parents and because it didn't eat much till now it is okay to offer till late night.
Parents start feeding with daylight, so you have to start early with feeding ideally.

I found another one and it appears to be dead, but I took it inside just in case. Is this one dead? The one I've been caring for seems fine still btw.

Attachments

• 20210518_064843[1].jpg
    20210518_064843[1].jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210518_064837[1].jpg
    20210518_064837[1].jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210518_064816[1].jpg
    20210518_064816[1].jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 11
Warm it in your hands, this could revive it, they can seem dead but be still alive if too cold, good luck ❤️
I put in a box with a warm water bottle in the same room. But poop is half coming out as you can see in the picture. Pretty sure this means it is dead. I don't really want to risk giving the Bird Sanctuary a dead bird lol but don't want to kill it if it is alive either

Back
Top Bottom