I have a pigeon that has joined my hens !

lisette30

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Just a quick question. About a week ago, a pigeon just flew in and joined my flock of Brahma hens. The bird eats their food, dust bathes with them, follows them around all day, joins them in the coop at night, etc. The bird has NO BANDS on its feet. I know *nothing* about pigeons. Can anyone help with the breed/sex of this pigeon ? Also, is the Purina Omega chicken feed ok for this bird or do I need to provide something else ? Also, is this common ? It's kind of cute for me, and the girls tolerate the addition, but, they let the bird know it's place for sure, LOL.

Attachments

• 20200609_214004.jpg
    20200609_214004.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200610_083841.jpg
    20200610_083841.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 34
This happened to me a few years ago. A pigeon showed up on the front lawn. I called one of the local pigeon clubs to find out more. They told me it was likely a juvenile racer just taking a break. They apparently take breaks if they're in a long race. It had no leg bands either. One of the club members came out the next day to take it. He brought some of his young racers with him for training. He let them out of their pen and they flew a few circles around my property to orient themselves, then headed due south to their home 16 miles away! Coolest thing ever!!! I almost got into racing pigeons because of that one bird that stopped by to rest.

About a week ago, a pigeon just flew in and joined my flock of Brahma hens. The bird eats their food
Agreed, it's kind of cool! :love

Pigeon are game birds and have higher amino acid requirement than chickens.. and if your feed is "layer" then it will have excess calcium for a non laying bird.. IF that's all it had to eat.

BUT.. free ranging, not knowing the age or gender of the bird, or how long it will stay...

Truly.. Brahma are a dual purpose hen.. and will do *best* with at least 18% protein. You might consider switching to an all flock feed.. Purina Flock raiser is 20% protein.. and higher in amino acids... 16% of most "layer" feed is the bare minimum to keep a light bodied layer like leghorn in good condition. Since making the switch and providing oyster shell free choice on the side.. my birds have less harsh molts retaining their full personalities and returning to lay sooner. I have used it for raising.. ducklings, chicks, hens, roosters, etc. Please note that it gives more budge room for treats if that's your thing as many are low protein. The extra nutrient also offers added immune system support..

Usually game birds (quail, turkey, and pigeon I think) also require much higher protein when young.. 24-30% depending on species and age.

I would be sure and check my birds at night time once monthly... and that bird if you can get your hands on it after dark while they're tucked on roost.. and look for lice (etc).. parting feathers below the vent and on abdomen look for crawlie things running away from the light. Keep it dim to keep the birds calm and use a flashlight for this process.

Birds are so fascinating! :pop

ETA: maybe there are other ways to add Omega's to the hens diet if that's a key element for ya??

Agreed, it's kind of cool! :love

Pigeon are game birds and have higher amino acid requirement than chickens.. and if your feed is "layer" then it will have excess calcium for a non laying bird.. IF that's all it had to eat.

BUT.. free ranging, not knowing the age or gender of the bird, or how long it will stay...

Truly.. Brahma are a dual purpose hen.. and will do *best* with at least 18% protein. You might consider switching to an all flock feed.. Purina Flock raiser is 20% protein.. and higher in amino acids... 16% of most "layer" feed is the bare minimum to keep a light bodied layer like leghorn in good condition. Since making the switch and providing oyster shell free choice on the side.. my birds have less harsh molts retaining their full personalities and returning to lay sooner. I have used it for raising.. ducklings, chicks, hens, roosters, etc. Please note that it gives more budge room for treats if that's your thing as many are low protein. The extra nutrient also offers added immune system support..

Usually game birds (quail, turkey, and pigeon I think) also require much higher protein when young.. 24-30% depending on species and age.

I would be sure and check my birds at night time once monthly... and that bird if you can get your hands on it after dark while they're tucked on roost.. and look for lice (etc).. parting feathers below the vent and on abdomen look for crawlie things running away from the light. Keep it dim to keep the birds calm and use a flashlight for this process.

Birds are so fascinating! :pop

ETA: maybe there are other ways to add Omega's to the hens diet if that's a key element for ya??
Thank-you ! I'm happy with the Brahmas feed (Purina Omega 3 Layena Plus) however and supplement it heartily with wholesome extra protein/whole grains from our kitchen. I was mostly worried about the new pigeon addition. The pigeon seems to enjoy it thus far. I mostly feel badly because I believe it's someone's pet/racer in some way that just got lost.
And yes, birds are AMAZING. These Brahmas are my first birds ever and I am head over heels. I never knew how much I would love them.

Also, I sprinkle the hems and their coop with diatomaceous earth on a regular basis. I guess I need to grab the pigeon now too.

Back
Top Bottom