I Have Been Feeding My Ducks This

So, there are three very important things on a bag of poultry feed.

FIRST is the guaranteed nutritional analysis.

Nutritional Information​

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min16.00%
Lysine, min0.80%
Methionine, min0.30%
Crude Fat, min3.50%
Crude Fiber, max5.00%
Calcium, min0.85%
Calcium, max1.35%
Phosphorus, min0.65%
Salt, min0.25%
Salt, max0.75%

Niacin isn't listed, because it very rarely is - so we'll have to pay extra attention to the third factor.

SECOND is the date of manufacture. FRESH is best, you want your birds finishing the bag, optimally, before the feed is three months old (an admittedly arbitrary date, but a good target to strive for).

THIRD is the ingredients list.

Ground Corn*, Soybean Meal*, Ground Wheat*, Wheat Middlings*, Roasted Soybeans*, Ground Barley*, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Reed-Sedge Peat, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Acetate.

From all these things, we see its a low protein (lower than I would use or recommend) feed at the upper end of the normal (by comparison to other feeds) fat range [which is somewhat typical for All Flock-style feeds], of about 1% calcium, which is just fine for all ages. First two ingredients are corn (cheap filler, low in both lysine and tryptophan, but a good source of methionine). Soy (together with quinoa) is one of the few complete protiens in the plant world. I like to see that on a label. Wheat is low in Methionine (something corn provided plenty of), but relatively high in tryptophan (something the corn lacked). Unfortunately, like corn, its also low in lysine. Barley is like a low quality wheat in a lot of ways, I'd rather see oats there, but I don't object to it.

and reading further... "Niacin Supplement". Gothca. You want to see this, or brewers yeast, or anotherniacin source on a bag intended for ducks, geese, and other waterfowl. An excess of it won't hurt your chickens.

as a complete aside, too high protein (more than 24%) is associated with a higher incidence of "angel wing" in ducks. and other waterfowl. Other sources suggest high carb diets (expecially highly refined flour, like found in bread) tend to cause it in the wild with well meaning idiots throwing chunks to the birds in the ponds. Younger birds, still growing are most vulnerable.

There's a lot of debate in the science community, but there are suggestions its not so much too much protein or too much carbs, but that those excesses result in a shortage of some essential mineral. Still, its not well understood.

For that reason, I won't feed my hatchlings more than 24% protein, and transition them to their adult ration (18-20% protein, depending on cost and availability) by six weeks of age. 18-20% protein is also the preferred range for feeding my non-hatchling chickens, so I'm able to feed everyone the same thing (except the hatchlings, who are penned and fed separately.

They are different bags the website is just using the same picture for all products.
If you are using the Organic grower, and the white label on the bag confirms this, you are alright feeding it to the ducklings.
Most likely the brand will require extra niacin supplementation.
I actually bought both accidentally and the bags were exactly the same. The only difference it the tag that Benedicts stapled on telling the name.

Where do I get niacin?

Back
Top Bottom