I injured my little hen

Juliamcda

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2018
Fallon NV
I injured my sweet Australorp hen, Whiskey, through ignorance. The other three hens were picking on her continually, I was told to put a saddle on her to help with the pecking. Well, I apparently left the saddle on to long and all her feathers on her back and shoulder have been rubbed off as you can see in the pictures. I have put a tea tree injury oil on her back. What can I do for her? I researched the internet and there were suggestions as to mixing a high in protein feed (21% or 28% protein) with the current layer feed to help her grow the feathers back. Or will the feathers grow back when she molts. I feel so bad for her since I caused this. Any suggestions? Appreciate any help. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-3164.JPG
    IMG-3164.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-3167.JPG
    IMG-3167.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 13
She should be ok..is there any scuffing or chafing on the skin? Just put a bit of neosporin on it. Yeah, extra protein would be helpful, but not necessary. I think there’s a feed with higher protein amount which would be fine.
She herself might have pulled the feathers out if she felt that would help alleviate the weird feeling she might have got while wearing the saddle. The photos look as if she’s just molting. There are feathers growing back.. so keep the saddle off as pin feathers can hurt and bleed.
Best wishes to you and Whiskey.

Kalmbach sells a Feather Fixer feed, if you wanted to try that I can post a link. Its higher protein, and according the description rich in nutrients that help grow feathers.
Or, you just add extra protein to the diet.
Don't be to hard on yourself about it. I put saddles on my sweet hens to stop feather pulling, and the elastic bands dug really and into their wings. It created large gashes, and the skin was actually indented. I felt terrible! You just have to remember that we all make mistakes, you will only do better for other birds in the future. :hugs

She should be ok..is there any scuffing or chafing on the skin? Just put a bit of neosporin on it. Yeah, extra protein would be helpful, but not necessary. I think there’s a feed with higher protein amount which would be fine.
She herself might have pulled the feathers out if she felt that would help alleviate the weird feeling she might have got while wearing the saddle. The photos look as if she’s just molting. There are feathers growing back.. so keep the saddle off as pin feathers can hurt and bleed.
Best wishes to you and Whiskey.
Thank you for the reply I will add a little neosporin and I have mixed in higher protein with her current layer feed. Thank you.

Kalmbach sells a Feather Fixer feed, if you wanted to try that I can post a link. Its higher protein, and according the description rich in nutrients that help grow feathers.
Or, you just add extra protein to the diet.
Don't be to hard on yourself about it. I put saddles on my sweet hens to stop feather pulling, and the elastic bands dug really and into their wings. It created large gashes, and the skin was actually indented. I felt terrible! You just have to remember that we all make mistakes, you will only do better for other birds in the future. :hugs
Thank you very much for the kind words. I know we make mistakes but it feels bad to hurt the innocent ones. Yes I would like the link to the Kalmbach Feather Fixer when you have time. You have a wonderful day.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I know we make mistakes but it feels bad to hurt the innocent ones. Yes I would like the link to the Kalmbach Feather Fixer when you have time. You have a wonderful day.
One link coming right up!
It doesn't fee good at all, your exactly right. Try not to be to hard on yourself. :hugs
Heres for the Full Plume Feathering feed, and I thought I would post a link to all their feeds anyway. I always suggest this feed to people, since its All natural and has Non-gmo and Organic options. I prefer a feed thats Organic, since the main ingredient in chicken feed is corn, and most all field corn is completely sprayed in pesticides, if its not Organic.
I can't imagine thats healthy for them.
Anyway, heres the link to all their feeds.
I'm glad to help!

Back
Top Bottom