I just read that ducks and chickens cross mate???

not a good idea, my friend had a chicken flock and a duck flock and drake thought it would be a good Idea as had access to the chicks he brooded with until she found him some duck hens of his own of the same breed. fast forward to hormones kicking in she had to cull her hen as the drake had forced him self on her and there was no way she could make it. Even though friend caught him and got him away from the hen right as he started.

Roosters and Drakes are 2 different things where a drake actually has a penis and a rooster doesn't it's more of just best way I can explain rubbing up on the hen for the rooster.
:goodpost:

Get more females. They'll over breed the females because the ratio isn't good. Drakes should have at least 6 females so they don't overbreed any of the females. You could also separate one of the drakes from the others or re-home one of the drakes.

You may have a tough decision since you only have two female ducks that is rehome one drake or get more females. Drakes need at least 3 and up females each and that still isn't a guarantee that they aren't going to gang up on a female. Drakes should never mate with a chicken hen it's usually a death sentence for the hen.

Ok they didn’t mate but this is the first sign I’ve ever seen and two what I know now are drakes were both biting the back of a head of a duck and one drake bobbed his head up and down for awhile then got on her back but only for a second they are 18/20 weeks old now and I’ve not ever seen an egg
I also read mating season isn’t until March
Well, mating season is all year with my ducks so I wouldn't count on that "seasonal" thing always being accurate! We sure to watch those drakes because they can really hurt your little girls.

Crap I don’t like any of those options , Ducks don’t like to be alone I’m not isolating a drake. I am not rehiring him either unless I end up having no choice and I sure don’t want to add more ducks . I have to think on this one. Today they are all acting different doing things they’ve never done before though so we will see

Crap I don’t like any of those options , Ducks don’t like to be alone I’m not isolating a drake. I am not rehiring him either unless I end up having no choice and I sure don’t want to add more ducks . I have to think on this one. Today they are all acting different doing things they’ve never done before though so we will see
Well sorry but you can try giving each a Hen and then have separate pens.

You've changed your question from how do people do it so often to how do you do it under your circumstances. It's obvious from your question that some people do often manage.

It's true that male and female ducks have different reproductive equipment than chickens. As aquatic birds they developed a way to be ale to breed in the water without the water causing a problem. The mating is kind of explosive to prevent the water from getting in. And the males equipment is fairly large. If a drake mates with a chicken hen and if he lines the equipment up properly to achieve penetration he could cause damage. "If" is always possible even if it doesn't happen that often.

We all have different circumstances, that's why what works for some people doesn't work for others. That could be facilities, flock make-up, many different things. So how do you manage with your circumstances? I'd go by what the others are saying and keep them separated. Whether separated means fences, re-homing, or eating is your choice.

Back
Top Bottom