i just seen a chicken hawk circling around my chickens. what do i do?

Just something I’ve noticed about hawks. Juvenile are the worst. I have wooden 6’ fence around my 1/3 acre backyard. A hawk just doesn’t fly around the area. They do test runs...to see where the chickens run to, who’s the fastest/slowest. They come up with a plan of attack they test your defenses. Juvenile hawks are crappy hunters and will try to go after hens on the ground not fly away with them as some people might think. They can rip a hen and actually the hen can die from shock. They leave a lot of the walking wounded behind.
A more experienced hawk goes after easy prey that doesn’t expend a lot of energy. IMO they’d go after a small dog vs a hen for example.
If the balance of life is the way it should be then hawks would hunt in areas they are successful.
This year has been crazy for predators. I’ve only seen one quail I mean singular. We used to have covies everyday. Sad

My advice if your chickens are free ranging is to provide them with many options to hide - bushes, pallets, etc. I've seen people use old truck cabs. Make teepees with limbs placed in the yard (there is a recent thread regarding someone doing just that as well I've seen them on the chicken chick's blog).

No I don't know what you mean because it is a federal law. But, you can do it the legal way and get a nuisance permit. Here's a thread that talks about that with links: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/legal-elimination-of-hawks-and-owls.113482/
As well it is easy enough to research the internet and find the direct links if you don't want to wade through the thread.
I just stated a solution to the problem. Killing venomous snakes is illegal in my state but every game warren I've met said they'd kill them in a heartbeat too. Marijuana is federally "illegal" but we all know its harmless... I let my moral compass guide me in life not the laws. My chickens > Predators

I just stated a solution to the problem. Killing venomous snakes is illegal in my state but every game warren I've met said they'd kill them in a heartbeat too. Marijuana is federally "illegal" but we all know its harmless... I let my moral compass guide me in life not the laws. My chickens > Predators
A moral compass on a family friendly site should mean that we obey laws. I let my moral compass guide me too and don't just shoot birds because they are eyeing my chickens. Hawks also take care of rodents and other such prey that is what they were designed to do.

A moral compass on a family friendly site should mean that we obey laws. I let my moral compass guide me too and don't just shoot birds because they are eyeing my chickens. Hawks also take care of rodents and other such prey that is what they were designed to do.
Your idea of a moral compass differs from mine. We all have different viewpoints, so I can agree to disagree. If a hawk is just flying around thats one thing... but if its going in for the attack or if I have a chicken missing/killed due to a hawk, then that's a different story. Hawks will pick off one or two chickens a day. They will return day after day, as long as their is a food source.

Back
Top Bottom