I need advice...please!

showhuntermom

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 13, 2010
I am a first-time "hatcher." We currently own 3 mature hens, and thought it would be fun to show our children the entire process, so ordered 3 fertilized eggs online and borrowed a friend's incubator. Well.... on day 20 we "candled" the eggs, and it seemed that 2 had chicks. On day 21 (yesterday) both were peeping like mad, and we were very excited about welcoming 2 new chicks. My friend strongly advised me against "helping" the chicks once hatching started, but did say that after a number of hours beyond the first hole, it was okay to gently put a small crack around the hole to get things going. Well, now it is approx. 10 hours later, and I have one happy newly hatched chick, but I think the other one has expired. The egg is silent, and it was actually stuck/dried to the bottom of the incubator. I am fearful that I somehow interfered with the hatching process, as it was chirping and hatching yesterday. My question is, is my sole chick going to be okay without any company? I have put a small stuffed animal in the brooder with him/her that he/she is snuggling up with...I just feel so sad for what I might have done!

If you were checking on the eggs. the humidity may have gotten to low. Typically you need to do a lock down three day before the chicks are do to hatch, and the humidity should be around 60 or 70% (double check that for sure, it has been a while for me.) Then you don't open the bator until all of the chicks have hatched. the newly hatch chicks will be fine in the bator for up to three days after hatching.

For now you have done what you can for your sole survivor. You will need to spend a lot of time with your chick. I know of others that have had solo chicks. You could start asking around as see if anyone around your area has any chicks that you could get for your chick.

I don't think you done anything wrong. That just happens sometimes that the chick just isn't strong enough to finish getting out of the shell. We have helped a few along when we noticed that the shell was actually broke all the way around the egg but was stuck to the chick and it souldn't finish it by itself.
The chick should be okay by himself if the is enough heat for it. About 90 to 95 degrees for the first few days anyway.

They can die at that stage for so many reasons- it may be nothing to do with any assistance you tried to give. You said you think it has died...Have you checked to see?? If it has a small hole already- you could shine a torch in and see if it is still breathing.

As for the one who is currently alone=- yes they can do ok on their own- but they do much better with a friend. Any chance you can get a day old chick to go with it? I have had single chicks and ducklings before and they chirp their little heads of looking for company at times. One thing I found that worked was this.

46956_chicky_momma.jpg

The long dangling legs of the ostrich toy suspended rather than lying on the floor of the brooder will give the chick the feeling that it is under the mother. Also the legs move when it does to also give the impression of it being alive rather than in inanimate object.

I would love to buy a couple of young chicks to add to my group/keep my sole surviving chick company. Where to look??

Quote:
Feed stores, other BYC members, you could even even check with poultry houses in your area.

Back
Top Bottom