I need your help

Langshan because:

They have excellent size, are gentle-loving things, go broody incessantly, are excellent mothers and are the best egg-layers of the Asiatic family.

I don't really understand why the Langshans are on the threatened list, other than the white and blue varieties??

RoPo, Im not certain of that fact either. I think that although some entire breeds are listed, I think that the vast majority of them are going to end up being a particular variety when push comes to shove. Thanks for your input, and I wouldn't have expected anything less from you.

You are welcome. Sorry I didn't understand the question at first. The second clarification, the "clear as mud" post, that one I understood the question. The reason I like the buttercups is because they are absolutely unique, the faverolles, cute as a BUG! and the Iowa blues, just sentimental americana rah rah red white and blue go... USA! is all....

The parameters for how flocks and breeding birds are determined is listed on the site. http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/parameters-poultry.html

It
takes 50 birds in a flock to be able to consider them a breeding flock, so most birds kept in small backyards would not count in studies. If I'm understanding that correctly.

I would like to see Araucana come off the list. I would also like to see more studies on the original historical value of the breed, not what we turned it into. Araucana were once a wild species and did not adhere to the APA standard that we have enforced on the breed. IMO, more should be raised/bred based on the historical value of the breed (ability to live wild, reproduce naturally, broodiness, meat quality, varied egg shells, etc). This is what makes the breed and conserves its original aspects. I wonder how many actually still have the true colonca and quetros that developed today's Araucana and how many are kept in their natural plumage colors.

Dustin.

I would check with a big hatchery and see how many birds the hatchery sells of the variates on the list. I do not think most of the bird breeds are at risk. The nankin is the only one on the list that I think would qualify.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you for the compliments
smile.png

Quote:
Seems to me that requiring a 50 bird flock to be considered a breeding flock is counter productive--especially for birds that are predominantly considered for egg laying ability--many people who maintain a 50-bird flock for eggs are simply not into large scale breeding, but rather into a small-scale egg farm. Exhibition breeders don;t usually maintain 50-bird flocks. They may well have 50 birds of the same breed and variety, but they are separated into much smaller flocks--often pairs or trios. And these are the ones who most likely hatch far larger numbers that increase the population than the 50+ bird flocks where the egg production is more geared towards eating eggs rather than hatching eggs. And I guess that the meat breeds, too, probably have more birds going into the food chain than are used to increase the breed, so once again exhibition breeders/backyard poultry keepers are more likely to improve the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom