I really don't know...do you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pgpoultry, Sep 12, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Age 17 weeks.
    Parents...well (s)he's a mutt really....dad's a Brahma....probably Red Pyle.
    Mum...a Warren (RIR X Light Sussex).......so I know (s)he is far from pure breed!
    (S)he was and still is slightly larger than her/his Brahma hatchmates, but they are catching up.
    Facial furniture seemed fairly bigger and redder compared to the Brahmas as a 6 week old, so I thought male. However, the wattles and comb remain pretty small, and haven't really grown much.
    I thought 'saddle feathers', but they haven't changed a lot since the early weeks.
    No attempts at crowing (or at egg laying).
    Whatever s(he) I like him/her and am going to keep him/her, but I'd like the opinion of someone who may be a bit more familiar with these unconventional crosses. Does s(he) scream pullet or roo to anybody?
    Those who don't like cross breeds should like away now!! Personally I love the odd mix who does not mature like a pure breed and keeps me guessing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking (and hope the sight of a mutt didn't make your eyes water)

Sandie

Having looked at the pics, the wattles and comb appear redder than the photos.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    You know at first glance, ignoring the legs, he/she looks a lot like a red-tailed hawk! Are you sure dad's a brahma? [​IMG]

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I vote girl and a very pretty one at that! I love her colouring. [​IMG]

And yes, I have crossed my brahmas with all sorts too, I love seeing what comes out of the mix.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My bet's on a very pretty pullet! She's really beautiful. [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Definitely pullet.

PS...I love my mutt crosses.

6. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I do believe this is a girl, and she's gorgeous!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A very pretty girl.

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Very pretty pullet. She is beautiful.

9. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Mutts need loving too..............[​IMG]

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm glad folk think I've got a pullet, because I was just trying to think of what excuse I had for keeping yet another rooster.

I think she's pretty and her nature is very nice....not skittish, never aggressive, so I am sure she will be an asset to my flock.

I'm glad she will be contributing to breakfast rather than the morning chorus! (Not that I mind crowing, but eggs are a better deal)

Thank you for your replies, [​IMG]

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by